Using AC output of one solar panel+inverter as input for another Solar Hybrid Inverter - Off Grid

sambandh
sambandh Registered Users Posts: 1
Hi,
I am new here and would like some advise for use in my off-grid farm.
I have a 300-watt panel running a dc solar pump from an open well at one end of the farm. I am now installing another 300w panel with a solar inverter in my hut which is some 80 to 90 meters away from the open well.
Now, the open well solar panel & pump are used only for about 2 hours a day (average) so I would like to use the spare capacity to generate electricity. Carrying DC current is problematic because of losses so I am thinking of using an inverter at the open well solar panel and carrying the AC current to the hut.
Now, can this AC current from one inverter be used as input to the solar hybrid inverter at the hut? It is almost as if the solar hybrid inverter is receiving AC from the grid, isn't it - or are there other technical issues? Note that since I am off-grid, there are no two sources of AC.
Appreciate some help.. thanks. 

Comments

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a grid tied expert by any means, but I think it depends on the inverter.  Some might want to sell any extra hut solar power back to the "grid", which would likely make the pump inverter unhappy.

Another way to do it might be to convert AC back to low voltage DC at the hut (AC battery charger).
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    For people that do not have "extra money"--It is difficult to tell them to leave the working DC water pump alone. And get a second panel for your hut. And avoid the risk of having two non-working/unreliable systems (your pump and hut power).

Details matter... Need to know the type of pump controller you have (you say inverter, sounds like it may be a VFD--Variable Frequency Drive). A VFD will vary the AC frequency to the pump (if the pump is actually an AC pump).

There are also linear current boosters for true DC pumps (brushed/universal AC/DC motors)--The boosters take solar panel energy (Vmp*Imp=Pmp) and converter it to low voltage/high current (Vpump*Imp=Pmp) to provide the high starting current needed to start the water pump and continue pumping at slow speed).

Making a "micro grid" takes the correct hardware (AC inverter, GT inverter, battery bank, local charge controller, etc.) to do what you want.

At this point, I could not even guess what hardware you have. Let alone how to interconnect.

If you want to tell us more details about the pump and hut systems, perhaps we can give you some help.

Good luck,
    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset