Cooling the batteries

Options
124»

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks Marc! The better half is driving this search and while we both hope this can wait 5 or more years, it is prudent to have a plan.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• WaterWheel
    WaterWheel Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Going up into the 90's this week so I refilled the water box today for it's third summer of operation.        With the aquarium water chiller set at 66 degrees and running 5-6 hours a day throughout the summer the batteries always stay below 78 degrees in the hot garage with it's metal roof and no shade.
    Just posting this post to let new people know this thread exists in case they are also looking at their batteries getting way to hot during the summer.

Conext XW6848 with PDP, SCP, 80/600 controller, 60/150 controller and Conext battery monitor

21 SW280 panels on Schletter ground mount

48v Rolls 6CS 27P

• Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Going up into the 90's this week so I refilled the water box today for it's third summer of operation.        With the aquarium water chiller set at 66 degrees and running 5-6 hours a day throughout the summer the batteries always stay below 78 degrees in the hot garage with it's metal roof and no shade.
    Just posting this post to let new people know this thread exists in case they are also looking at their batteries getting way to hot during the summer.

Excellent feedback! Thank you.
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • Dave Angelini
    Options
    How do you keep them warm in the winter when you need them the most?  Do the reverse? I would think a metal shed would get pretty cold back east? Or, maybe not an issue if you are grid tied? Just curious?

• WaterWheel
    Options
    I'm in Northern GA so rare for the outside temps to drop below 20 for more than a few hours.      The garage is double walled (Hardie-board siding, plastic wrap, plywood layer, studs, and heavy paneling for the interior wall)  and has a ceiling below the metal roof with thin metal roll up doors.          Generally during the winter the garage stays 15-20 degrees warmer than the outside tempature.      If I close the top of the battery box the batteries rarely drop below 60 degrees in winter.       The battery box has an exhaust fan that exhausts to the outside that comes on when the battery voltage gets above 57v. 

Conext XW6848 with PDP, SCP, 80/600 controller, 60/150 controller and Conext battery monitor

48v Rolls 6CS 27P

• Dave Angelini
    Options
    Thanks for the info! You ever think of using a water wheel to move the water ;)   I have seen the ones you build !

• WaterWheel
    Options
    Kinda hard to fit one in the garage.  

48v Rolls 6CS 27P