System grounding Magnum

Options
HumMichael
HumMichael Registered Users Posts: 26 ✭✭
I  slowly reading documents prior to converting my small array garage off grid to grid assisted system using magnum 48 inverter amd their panel.
The incoming AC is grounded at the main panel prior to the subpanel I am getting the 60amp from. 

Magnum manual states that if neutral and ground are bonded at the main panel, I must remove the neutral/ ground,  system bonding jumper, in magnum panel.

Can someone explain what this means?

Does it mean that neutral in the magnum panel must not be bonded to ground and I only run ground wires from both AC and DC to outside grounding rod separate from my house main panel's ground rod?

Please share some insight.

Sincerely,
Michael

Comments

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ground should generally be bonded to neutral in one (and only one) place. This is commonly done in the main panel.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,443 admin
    Options
    Many (some, most, all?) larger AC inverters (more than few kWatts in capacity) and larger gensets operate on the assumption (in North America) that they are the only source of AC power and it needs to be wired per North American Standards (i.e., grounded neutral at the main panel).

It gets confusing when you have multiple sources of AC power--Grid, inverter, genset, etc. And the definition of where the main panel is.

So, the larger units tend to have a wire/jumper from the "neutral" (white wire) to the frame/chassis of the device (inverter, genset, house main panel, etc.). The grounding is done for safety (the neutral is always at "zero volts" and does not have any fuses/breakers on it, anywhere in the system). If there is a short with an grounded neutral, it is possible for the neutral to become "hot" and electrocute somebody and/or over current and cause a fire.

Other reasons for grounded neutral--Usually nice for reducing damage from a lightning strike. And for a small class of devices (some florescent tube fixtures, automatic spark ignition for stoves and water heaters), the grounded devices work better (florescent fixtures start quicker/better, flame sensing of ignitors work correctly).

So--You have to go inside the inverters, gensets, and such, find the "jumper" or "bonding screw" and disconnect all but one of the ground to neutral connections. Otherwise, it is possible to get "circulating" currents back through parallel ground and neutral connections and have some electrical problems or possible overheated white/green wires somewhere.

In some cases, like an RV that can run both from AC plug to house/campsite and run off of inverter+genset when dry camping, the wiring connections for bonding are even more complex--People have to sometimes put a relay in place to choose the "correct" location for AC neutral bonding. Some AC inverters with AC input connections will manage the AC ground bond for you with their own internal AC relay.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • HumMichael
    Options
    Thank you Estragon and BB.
    As I was studying about what neutral/ground bonding I learned a few things as you guys described.

I have to open my main? to make sure that neutral/ground are in fact bonded together, if not then I will call an electrician.

If properly bonded, I will make sure to keep my subpanels, inverters, etc not to have any bonding at all including removing the green screws prevent chasis bonding.

I found an interesting video that states that small generators in fact have a floating neutral and if you are connecting that as AC source, you do not have a lightning protection. There was a gizmo that by plugging it into one of the generator's outlet, it temporarily created neutral ground bonding not resulting in a fault.

Sincerely,
    Michael
  • BB.
    Options
    If you put an AC Voltmeter between ground (center pin in outlet, cold water pipe, etc.) and the two 120 VAC leads. One will read ~120 VAC and the other will (should) read less than 10 VAC (usually very close to zero).

If not, then either you are making the measurements wrong, or there is a wiring problem with the house.

All homes in the US have a Neutral+Ground bond somewhere (99%+ in the main panel). There are a few folks that have discovered that their homes were miss-wired (such as snow melting around their ground rod near the main panel outside the home).

Does not hurt to check with meter--But the chances that it is wrong is very very low.

Sub panels will frequently have a multi-function Neutral bus. If you look, the bus bar is mounted on plastic (floating), but there may be a screw location that can optionally tie the neutral bus to the metal case of the sub-panel (more modern devices--Older homes, who knows).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • HumMichael
    Options
    BB. said:

Sub panels will frequently have a multi-function Neutral bus. If you look, the bus bar is mounted on plastic (floating), but there may be a screw location that can optionally tie the neutral bus to the metal case of the sub-panel (more modern devices--Older homes, who knows).

-Bill

That screw should be removed right?
    Thanks for your explanation.

Sincerely
    Michael

• BB.
    Options
    If you are installing a new sub panel, then the neutral to ground bonding screw should be removed or stored in the not grounding position.

-Bill
  • HumMichael
    Options
    BB. said:
    If you put an AC Voltmeter between ground (center pin in outlet, cold water pipe, etc.) and the two 120 VAC leads. One will read ~120 VAC and the other will (should) read less than 10 VAC (usually very close to zero)
    Bill
    When you say this test, I am checking at the main not a sub panel?

Thanks
    Sincerely
    Michael

• Estragon
    Options
    I'm a bit confused. What exactly do you mean by converting your small array garage off-grid to grid assisted? What do you have for power sources and loads now, and what are you adding?
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • HumMichael
    edited March 2017 #10
    Options
    Estragon said:
    I'm a bit confused. What exactly do you mean by converting your small array garage off-grid to grid assisted? What do you have for power sources and loads now, and what are you adding?
    Right now I am feeding electrical needs in my garage/mancave using 12v solar setup. I am planning to convert to Magnum 48v system which I will feed the original 60 amp coming in as the AC input to the magnum panel/ inverter. Once this is successful, I plan to have 10k system using two Mangum 4448 grid assisted to yhe main house using a critical panel distribution.
    Thanks
    Sincerely
    Michael
  • Estragon
    Options
    So if I understand this, the "original 60a" is an AC sub-panel fed from a main AC service entrance panel in the house. I assume there is a ground tied to neutral in the main panel, and not in the sub-panel. Can you check for voltage between neutral and ground in the sub-panel?

You don't say what loads are being powered by the 12v system. Are there/will there be battery storage?

Are you looking at a grid tied inverter?
    Off-grid.