needing to boost the watts from 10 to 50 watts useing a micro wind generator that makes 12 volts

Options
Crazy_Wolf1234
Crazy_Wolf1234 Registered Users Posts: 14 ✭✭
i've been told that in order for me to increase the watts a wind turbine makes, I have to increase the rpms and utilize a 12 v regulator to maintain the 12 - 14 volts produced. is this true and if so can a voltage regulator from say a car be used for this task?

Comments

• Solar2
    Solar2 Registered Users Posts: 30 ✭✭
    Options
    That is correct C Wolf, If you spin the generator faster it will result in more power.
    But this is not the easiest thing to do.
    You will have to put a bigger blade on it or mount it higher.
    An auto regulator should work with a 12V system if the generator field is compatible.

Do not know where you are located but we have found that putting your $ in PV nets you more results.
    We are in NE WA state.

Ken

18 Kw PV;  2000 AHr FLA Bat; 12 Kw Inverter;  20 Kw Kohler, LP, low speed, double muffled,   Home built, ground coupled heat pump, VFD enabled;  Leaf
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,440 admin
    edited November 2016 #3
    Options
    Generally, modern Wind Turbines use Permanent Magnet Alternators (PMA). They do not have field current (no slip rings). and do not have any regulation capability other than adjusting RPM (blade pitch, feathering, folding back/out of wind/etc.).

Take a regular car alternator, pull the rotating "rotor" with slip rings and field windings, and replace with permanent/high strength magnets. Because there is no field current, the alternator is more efficient.

The standard PMA regulation technique is to use a Shunt/Bypass/Dump type charge controller (different names for the same thing).

Basically, connect:
    • Alternator->rectifier->shutdown switch (optional)->battery bank->dump controller->dump load (resistor/heater bank).
    When the battery is full, the dump controller turns on and sends excess charging current to a heater bank (resistor bank or other load).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Crazy_Wolf1234
    Crazy_Wolf1234 Registered Users Posts: 14 ✭✭
    Options
    thanks guys, your a great help