12v RV lights

Options
Chachoriffic
Chachoriffic Registered Users Posts: 28 ✭✭
I picked these up off Amazon

How do you wire these to the battery?  Switch? Switch and fuse?  I have six of them and I want all six to work together.  What's the cheapest adequate (efficient, if that's a thing in this context) wire for 12v lighting in general? These are 0.15 watt lights

2x160w Solar Cynergy 12v Mono Panel, Mohoo 20a PWM charge controller, Samlex 300w PSW inverter (SA-300), Honda (EP2500CX) generator, Samlex 12v 15a charger (SEC-1215UL)

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    re the AC or DC....black and white makes me think  AC.  Try Black to DC Pos first as a test.  I would wire them in parallel, use a switch and a CB or fuse of  15W/12v = 1..25A   if you can find one 

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Chachoriffic
    edited October 2016 #3
    Options
    12v DC

Other thing is I would like them to still work if one goes out.
    2x160w Solar Cynergy 12v Mono Panel, Mohoo 20a PWM charge controller, Samlex 300w PSW inverter (SA-300), Honda (EP2500CX) generator, Samlex 12v 15a charger (SEC-1215UL)
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    When the Hot wire leaves the battery bus (typically positive). You install wire heavy enough for the current and acceptable voltage drop.

Assuming the label is correct 12 volts @ 0.15 Watts:
    • P=V*I
    • I=P/V = 0.15 watts / 12 volts = 0.0125 Amps
    That is a very tiny amount of current... You can run almost any insulated wiring you can find... But you should probably stay with 18AWG or heavier--So the wire is not broken by somebody snagging it. Or, use 14 AWG Romex cable--And that will be more than solid and safe.

The minimum fuse you should probably run is 1 amp... If you use 14 AWG, you can go upwards of 15 amps, but if all of your lighting/current is so small--I would stick with around 5 amps or so.

Voltage drop is nothing with that small of current... But a useful example, Say you put 3 amps total load (other lights, small fan, etc.) and want a maximum of 0.5 volts drop on 14 AWG wire--How far could you send it (this drop calculator uses 1 way run, not 2x or round trip length):

http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html?material=copper&wiresize=8.286&voltage=12&phase=dc&noofconductor=1&distance=33&distanceunit=feet&amperes=3&x=49&y=9

14 AWG @ 33 feet run:
    Voltage drop: 0.50
    Voltage drop percentage: 4.17%
    Voltage at the end: 11.5

So--The maximum I would run a 3 amp circuit on 14 AWG wiring on 12 volts with 1/2 drop would be ~33 feet.

-Bill "more math, less confusion" B. :D
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Chachoriffic
    edited October 2016 #5
    Options
    Good lord, this stuff is heavy. I mean, it's an entire faculty of knowledge obviously.  I had no clue it would be this detailed. I want, no, need this system running before first major snow fall. 
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    That small of light (low power LED)--Almost any insulated wiring will work fine for you... Just have a small fuse (1 amp or so, depending on the gauge of the wire) in the positive lead from the battery bank... Then the switch (positive side), and the negative (return lead) from the light back to the battery -bus.

Not trying to over complicate--Just ignore me on the other suggestions--Unless you want to have more devices out there later.

The Black vs White for the LED wiring... Is a bit of a strange one. Black in DC system is negative. Black on AC systems is "Hot" and White is return.

Try to just tap the LED (pick a color) to + and -. If it does not light, reverse the leads.

You can try a volt/ohm meter, set to Ohms (or diode check) and see if you can light the LED (do it in a dark room, will not be much light).

It is hard to guess.. It really depends on the input circuitry (if any other than a resistor). LEDs generally do not like reverse voltage more than 4-5 volts or so--And they can be damaged by more.

Sorry for the complexity,
    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Chachoriffic
    Options
    Lol no apologies needed. I never realized what I was getting myself in to when an acquaintance suggested I get 12v solar system