Changing Sunsaver MPPT setpoints.

Skippy
Skippy Solar Expert Posts: 310 ✭✭
edited October 2016 in Solar Beginners Corner #1
I first started out by getting a Sunsaver MPPT charge controller  . . . and although it is a very nice - compact controller, I like to have a display to see what is happening . . .

Once I upgraded to the Tristar controller with digital display, I still wanted to use the solar array and controller that I had - So too make sure that the settings were the same or equal, I had to pick up a modbus connector for my computer . .  you need this connector to make the connection between the computer and the charge controller...  apparently, I can also use this to program my tristar as well . .

Once I had the proper connector I went to the website, and downloaded the program MSView.
I could not get the thing too connect the first couple of times, until I realized that the first dip switch has too be set to "ON" for the communications to work . . and you can only change the settings when the CC is turned off . . .

First thing you see is the msview home screen . .

After doing a quick search :

Then connecting to the device ;

Once I could "see" the device, I had to figure out how too get to the settings . . .

By going into the "tool" section, you can specify which CC you have :

You then have to go down to the bottom of the screen and press "read ssmppt"

I found a few numbers that did not match the tristar, so I clicked on the "edit" button to change the settings...

From here, you can change settings.

Set points for the little steel jumper inserted . . .

Settings for the little steel jumper removed . . .

Settings for "shared settings" with or without the jumper . .

Communications settings and even when the l.e.d. lights will change colour (voltage settings)

For those of you who use the load center on this one, you can set the "lighting mode - Timers" . .  I don't use these, but it sounds kinda cool . .  dusk to dawn solar lighting anyone ?

Low voltage and high voltage disconnects . . .

Once your all done changing the settings you need to change, it takes you back to the start screen.... where you can review under all the different tabs - what settings are what . . .

Then all you need to do is "Program ssmppt" .

Hope this helps someone.

I should have taken a picture of the original settings with my smart phone - That way I would have had a reference point.

2 - 255W + 4 - 285W PV - Tristar 60 amp MPPT CC / 3 - 110W PV -wired for 36V- 24V Sunsaver MPPT CC / midnite bat. monitor.
1 KW PSW inverter 24V / 2.5 KW MSW inverter-24V ~ 105 AHR battery.
3 ton GSHP.- 100 gallon warm water storage / house heat - radiant floor / rad
9 -220W PV - net meter - Enphase inverters and internet reporting system.
420 Gallon rain water system for laundry.***  6" Rocket Mass Heater with 10' bed for workshop heat.
Current project is drawing up plans for a below grade Hobbit / underground home.
Google "undergroundandlovinit" no spaces.