Looking for the right controller on a budget

BarefootWildflowers
BarefootWildflowers Registered Users Posts: 1
I recently purchased 10 avancis 115 watt solar panels.  Well, not so recently, they've been sitting in my garage for over a year, but I'm just now getting around to installing them.  What can I get away with controller wise for these panels.  I'm on a very limited budget.  I know there are many excellent choices out there, but that is not what I'm looking for.  What can I get away with until I can afford a better controller?  Thanks in advance!!!

Comments

• littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With an open circuit voltage of 59 volts you will need an MPPT controller and unless you spring for one of the few (expensive) 600 volt versions you will need to either combine all 10 panels or series wire 5 strings of two and combine them. Either way you will need a fused combiner box.  The amperage of said controller will depend on your battery bank voltage you go with Hint, The higher you battery bank voltage, the lower amperage you will be charging with.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.