Never knew about these scrap parts

danielxavier
danielxavier Registered Users Posts: 2
Hi guys. Thanks for having me in this forum.
I have made this Darrieus wind turbine from scrap parts. I was kind a glad to see it worked that well, but it doesn't seem to have much torque. What can i do to the design to make it pull more juice? Find it at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDXP-9HAV4A

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016 #2
    you need to make  all the surfaces that the wind flows over very smooth, like an airplane wing

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Johann
    Johann Solar Expert Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    Put it 80 feet high into the air.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    The front 1/3 of the leading edge of the wing (at least) needs to be smooth. The turbulence from the grooves in the leading edge are (probably) acting like spoilers (spoilers create turbulence and kill lift).

In practice, you probably are not going to get much real energy anyway... Wind turbines need to be installed in non-turbulent air which is (typically) >~50-60 feet above the ground (and >30 feet above near by upwind obstructions like trees and houses). There is hardly any useful energy in turbulent airflow.

Easiest way to find the level of clean air in your area--Fly a kit and see how high it needs to be to find stable airflow.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset