FAILED SOLAR PANELS ?????

Options
mrleemus1
mrleemus1 Registered Users Posts: 28 ✭✭

I have a situation where the VOLTAGE measured across the Neg. and Pos. leads from the solar panel read @ 36 volts. which is consistent with the stated voltage expected (open circuit). When I measure the AMPS --- there are no amps -zero. I measured 2 ways. Momentarily connect the 2 leads together and checked with a DC CLAMP over meter and with a traditional multimeter with the 10 amp max utility. NO AMPS-- I even connected a small DC fan to the panel and NOTHING -- no power output. The panels are BP 175 watt. This is the 4th panel that has failed -- what is cause and can they be repaired??

Lee

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

BP has had some field failures of PVs in that power range.  Believe that these PV date to about 2004,  or so.   BP appears to have replaced some/many/most of these under Warranty.

The Super Moderater here  --  BB Bill has had all of his BP PV array replaced under warranty,  IIRC.

It is often not a great to do a Isc test by connecting the MC connecters together when the PV is in the sun,  as this can damage the connectors (you may NOT have been doing this),  FWIW.

Will let BB give you the real story.   Good Luck,    Vic

Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BP had a big problem with the  junction/buss box connection failing and even overheating enough to the point of shattering the glass on some panels. They, without actually announcing a recall were replacing panels and even whole systems when the problems would arise. One indicator would be a scorching of the encapsulant visible from the front of the panel, under the glass, directly adjacent to the junction/ buss. Another symptom is when testing with a DVM the voltage can jump around erratically due to the broken connections. Seems one cause of this issue is any tugging of the leads coming out of the panel can cause this broken connection. There really isn't any strain relief where the exit the panel and only a minimal amount of clear yellow pottant holding these wires in at the solder point. The problem appears to be limited to the SX-170, BP-3175B, BP-4175B and BP-175-B models. This is from my direct experience with thousands of these particular panels. I have seen a few of these panels with your, voltage but no amps scenario and no other obvious problem so there may be more going on here than meets the eye. The diodes are about 1/4" square and located under the backsheet, inline with the buss tabbing at the top of the module.  Maybe there is an issue with them. Is there any visible scorching there?

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Vic has it correct. When my array hit about 1/2 of the expected kWH production per day--The installer tested Voc/Isc and, if something like >20% (if I recall correctly) of the panels were bad, BP would replace the whole array. My panels were about 6 years old when they failed.

If you look on the "glass side" of the panel above the junction box, there was a (relatively faint--easy to miss until you know what you are looking for) coffee colored stain above the boxes on about 1/2 of the panels.

My panels where "plain" or "A" models, I think the ones on my roof are "B" models (made in China). I believe BP is out of the solar panel business, but they still are honoring their warranty. Call your installer/retailer first... If no help, try calling BP.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016 #5
    Options
    The "B" actually stands for Bronze, as in Bronze anodized frames.
     The problem modules were made in the USA. The newer replacements seem to be made in India and Mexico, although I wouldn't be surprised if some were made in China.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.