Combining 2 Magnum MS4448PAE gives AC overload

cephlon
cephlon Registered Users Posts: 4
I have 2 MS4448PAE Magnum inverters. I have been running one with no problem for over a year. I am not trying to hook the second one up to the first to share the load. I have the MAGNUM ME-RTR ROUTER that is needed to combine them. 
When I turn the second inverter on, the ADC output reading on the RTR starts climbing into the -200 range and then I get an AC Overload error and the inverter turns off. 

Each inverter works when it is just the one running. I have hooked them up according correctly according to Magnum's wiring diagram. I have the Magnum inverter mini panel and the left side extension box. 

They are running off 48 volts. 2 banks of L16's (16 batteries total). 

Any one have experience with these inverters and can help me make them work together?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Just to be clear, you have two inverters connected to the same 48 volt battery bank. And you want the one controller/monitor to manage both inverters--But you do not have the AC outputs tied together for "stacked operation" (in some inverters, you can parallel the outputs for more current--In others you can put the outputs together in series to make 120/240 VAC power)?

And when you connect the two inverters to the single ME-RTR to the two inverters, both inverters climb to ~200 VAC and fault?

I do not know about the detailed operation of the Magnums--Just trying to understand/clarify.

Also, have you tried calling Magnum for support yet? I believe others have had good results from contacting them directly.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    BB. said:
    Just to be clear, you have two inverters connected to the same 48 volt battery bank.
    OP mentioned two 48 volt battery banks (1 bank per inverter?).   I don't know enough about stacking magnums to know if that could be an issue.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    It sounds like the Magnums + ME-RTR are trying to run 120/240 split phase "stacked" operation. Don't know about Magnums (or details of other inverters), but if they are not connected together with (usually) a separate "stacking/control" interface between them, uncontrolled AC output voltage would seem to be a likely outcome.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016 #5

Hi cephion,

I know nothing of Magnum Inverters.

But the  MS "Router" includes Stacking cables.  There appears to be an OLD and a newer version of the Router:
    http://www.solar-electric.com/mamerocoform.html

EDIT:   OH,  the new Wind-Sun Store site does NOT handle drilling down very far  --  does not notice that the link to the "Details" page for a product should actually have a Link that takes one to the Details   ...  Click "Details"  to get info on the Router Details.  The "Compatibility" button seems to use a PopUp,  which most of us have Blocked,  so that does not work either ...  More Software Progress!   (on the Wind Sun store site,  anyway)

EDIT2:   MS Router Compatibility  .pdf:
    http://www.solar-electric.com/lib/wind-sun/64-0020-031-Rev-C-Inverter-Compatibility-Matrix-for-ME-RTR-Ver-3.1.pdf

Are you certain that the two MS inverters are identical enough to allow Stacking,  and  have the same FirmWare versions?
    Is the Router that you have compatible with the versions of the Magnum inverters that you have?
    Are you using the supplied Stacking cables?

By now,  am sure that you and Magnum Solar Inc.  are communicating.

Good Luck!   Vic

Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • SolarMusher
    SolarMusher Solar Expert Posts: 176 ✭✭✭

cephlon said:
    I have 2 MS4448PAE Magnum inverters. I have been running one with no problem for over a year. I am not trying to hook the second one up to the first to share the load. I have the MAGNUM ME-RTR ROUTER that is needed to combine them. 
    When I turn the second inverter on, the ADC output reading on the RTR starts climbing into the -200 range and then I get an AC Overload error and the inverter turns off. 

Each inverter works when it is just the one running. I have hooked them up according correctly according to Magnum's wiring diagram. I have the Magnum inverter mini panel and the left side extension box. 

They are running off 48 volts. 2 banks of L16's (16 batteries total). 

Any one have experience with these inverters and can help me make them work together?
    Please provide more details about what you want to do with these two inverters.
    These PAE inverters need to be hooked (paralleled) in order to use a ME-RTR, if you wanted to use them separately you should use a ME-RC or ME-ARC for each of them.
    Anyway, it doesn't have sense to me to use them that way, it would be so simple to use them both in parallel with a single ME-RTR on one bank with two strings.
    Or maybe I just don't understand what you're trying to do.
    A+
    Erik

• bafaro
    bafaro Registered Users Posts: 4
    I too have the same problem with my two MS4124PE inverters. At first the two worked until the day following a malfunction (over ~ 400 A), and then OVERLOAD INTERNAL BRIDGE on one of the inverters. I just change the TCB and FCB, the inverter charger walk again but could not operate in parallel as before. I point out that I also change the RTR version 2.2 to 3.2, so if you had a solution let me know. Thank you.