Low amperage on 2 new panels?Can I test at the panels?

SolarLakeHouse2
SolarLakeHouse2 Registered Users Posts: 16 ✭✭
Purchased 2 solar cynergy 150 watt 8.65 amp panels and running them into a epsolar 4215 mppt controller..running 12v system..I've adjusted the controller for my new 4 batts (flooded and 475 ah) I've cleaned the panels,have them straight into the sun and only get like 3.5 amp with two 8.65 amp panels? Wow..somethings wrong..can I test them at the mc4 connectors for amprage?expensive 3/4 amp batter charger at this time..damm

Comments

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016 #2
    What is the SOC of the batteries?  If they are fully charged I wouldn't expect them to accept more than  3 or 4 amps.

What batteries do you have?

--vtMaps

Edit:  I assume the two solar panels are in series (not parallel)... is that correct?
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • SolarLakeHouse2
    88%
  • SolarLakeHouse2
    Even down at 40 or 45% I never see more than 3.8 amps
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    How do you know they are at 88%? (by voltage, or by battery monitor, or by SG)  --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • SolarLakeHouse2
    The 4215..has a soc status...now it's 9.9 amps..dang I'm happy..cleaned the panels,adjusted them and reset the controller
  • SolarLakeHouse2
    Why I'm in the beginner forums..keeping these things in the sun is everything..I have 6 more panels to mount on "direct tv" sat dish mounts on 2" poles
  • SolarLakeHouse2
    Sat dish backing plates work awsome..poor man's solar mounts