battery charging voltage

Options
2»

Comments

• DConlyGuy
    DConlyGuy Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭
    Options
    my mppt fried last night, so im back to using my c35, according to the manual for the c35 i can set the bulk and floats but not the adsorb. according to the manual it holds the bulk setting for adsorb until battery is full and then goes into float mode. in early post crown said to absorb was 14.5 but bulk should be 14.8 so im wondering should i just leave it at 14.8 or use the absorb 14.5 volts for bulk and absorb?
    600 watts of solar panels,Epever 30 mppt , 2 PWHR12500W4FR battery's in 24 volt setup
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DConlyGuy said:
     crown said to absorb was 14.5 but bulk should be 14.8 so im wondering should i just leave it at 14.8 or use the absorb 14.5 volts for bulk and absorb?
    The problem you are dealing with is that Crown's recommendation is not based on a standard RE (renewable energy) charging protocol.   In a standard RE protocol, there is no bulk voltage setting... the charger pushes a certain amount of current (amps) into the battery, and the battery voltage rises to the absorb setpoint.  At that point the charger just holds the voltage constant (at the absorb voltage) while the battery accepts less and less current.

In other words, Crown is not using the term 'bulk' the way it is used in RE. 

To research this further do a search on "IUoU" which is the name for the RE charging protocol.  Crown may be referring to a "IUIa" protocol.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i