mixing battery's and modified inverters

Options
mike74820
mike74820 Registered Users Posts: 44 ✭✭
edited May 2016 in Solar Beginners Corner #1
i know mixing them is really bad  thing too do, but i want to go to 24 volts, how long will mixing 2 golf cart 235hr battery's and one deep 105ah marine  battery last? and also how well does led tv's and led lights  run off a modified sine wave inverter ? thanks in advance for your answers

Comments

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mike74820 said:
    i know mixing them is really a thing too do,
    I disagree.  It is a really bad thing to do.  Do not mix the battery types.
    mike74820 said:
     and also how well does led tv's and led lights  run off a modified inverter ?
    I presume you mean a modified sine wave inverter.  Unfortunately, it is very difficult to predict.  There are many different degrees of modified sine wave quality... some inverters are better than others. 

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • mike74820
    Options
    i fixed the post i know they arent the best thing too. 
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Usually, the Marine Battery is going to be the "weak link" in the system.

As long as you treat the string as a 24 volt @ 105 AH battery bank and don't deep cycle it very much--It could work OK.

Secondary issues could arrise... A possible problem would be the older(?) deep cycle batteries will have higher self discharge current--And when you try to bring the bank back to >90% state of charge, you may end up with the marine battery at >90% and the deep cycle at <80% SOC--And when you equalize, the Marine battery may use "lots" of extra water and possibly even overheat.

For experimentation--It should work. For a run and forget system--I would highly recommend avoid this type of operation.

The MSW vs PSW/TSW inverter issue should be pretty much unrelated to the battery bank question. Instead, it is the AC loads that will be affected by the MSW/PSW inverter question.

Induction motors do not like MSW (tend to run hot). Some electronics will run hot or even fail (minutes/hours/days--who knows). It is the old 80/20 rule. Probably 80% of the loads will run OK. Another 10% will fail, and the last 10% could have issues (run hot, noisy, or fail eventually).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mike74820
    Options
    sounds like it's better just to wait until next year to go 24 volts and do it right thanks for all your help
  • oil pan 4
    oil pan 4 Solar Expert Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    modified sine is pretty well known for burning out advanced electronics.

Solar hybrid gasoline generator, 7kw gas, 180 watts of solar, Morningstar 15 amp MPPT, group 31 AGM, 900 watt kisae inverter.

Solar roof top GMC suburban, a normal 3/4 ton suburban with 180 watts of panels on the roof and 10 amp genasun MPPT, 2000w samlex pure sine wave inverter, 12v gast and ARB air compressors.