Rewinding alternators

Options
oil pan 4
oil pan 4 Solar Expert Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

I did some searching around trying to figure out a good instruction on how to rewind an auto motive alternator for 6 pole single phase. The only people I can find talking about rewinding stators on auto motive alternators for any reason are wind turbine people.

I want to rewind an automotive alternator to build an old school motor generator for tig welding aluminum with AC.

I have an idea what the windings will look like but I want to eliminate as much trial and error as possible.

Solar hybrid gasoline generator, 7kw gas, 180 watts of solar, Morningstar 15 amp MPPT, group 31 AGM, 900 watt kisae inverter.

Solar roof top GMC suburban, a normal 3/4 ton suburban with 180 watts of panels on the roof and 10 amp genasun MPPT, 2000w samlex pure sine wave inverter, 12v gast and ARB air compressors.

Comments

• GreenPowerManiac
    GreenPowerManiac Solar Expert Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Google your title.  It will get you closer to some answers or to your destination.
    I've noticed that the smaller copper wiring is easily wound yet difficult to contain.  And yes, it's coated with clear casing.  The casing on the tips will have to be burnt off to put terminals onto.  .020 - .030 wires should be easy enough and flexible to wind up.
    We're looking at 50+ amps DC to weld aluminum, and that's with a stick rod Mig.
    Nature's Design & Green Energy on FaceBook : Stop by and "Like" us anytime.. Many up-to-date articles about Renewables every day.
    WWW.GreenAnything.Net    Ad free website.
    Lots of DIY Renewable Energy Projects on ETSY : Solar Panel builds, Wind Turbine builds, Rain Barrel build,etc.  
  • magneticwinder
    magneticwinder Registered Users Posts: 1
    edited October 2016 #3
    Options
    I rewind AC stators for a living and have done for the past 5 years. Any dc motor with copper windings in it is the same principle. You need to know the original winding data to rewind it correctly and for it to run efficiently. The data you need is; the guage of the wire, the number of turns per coil, and the span of the coil. The span of the coil. The so an of the coil is how many slots are between one side of it and the other. So say you have a coil in one slot and then it misses two slots and the other side of it goes in the next your span would be 1-4.
  • Redfredg
    Redfredg Registered Users Posts: 1
    Options

Alternator becomes more efficient at 2000rpm and higher, the amount of parasitic HP needed to energise the coil is negligible compared to the engine output.

A windmill's range is from 50rpm, or cutin speed, to the max or furling speed usually 500rpm or less, but its largely dependant on blade dia and material, ie composite fibreglass 1.2m dia max - 800rpm max.

In conclusion the wind doesnt consistently produce enough HP to overcome the HP needed for a geartrain to spin an alternator in its 3500 rpm range.

I've seen them pop up in my neighbourhood with bicycle gearsets, they're never up and working for longer than 6months, by then the owners have figured out the above info.

• oil pan 4
    oil pan 4 Solar Expert Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was thinking about using an automotive alternator for a single phase high frequency AC power source for welding aluminum.
    But I have my doubts because welding aluminum takes so much power and automotive alternators can't make a whole lot of amps. Then rewrap in them for single phase makes them even less powerful and less efficient.

Solar hybrid gasoline generator, 7kw gas, 180 watts of solar, Morningstar 15 amp MPPT, group 31 AGM, 900 watt kisae inverter.

Solar roof top GMC suburban, a normal 3/4 ton suburban with 180 watts of panels on the roof and 10 amp genasun MPPT, 2000w samlex pure sine wave inverter, 12v gast and ARB air compressors.