Adding Bogart charge controller to current Morningstar system. ??

wb7duo
wb7duo Registered Users Posts: 15 ✭✭
I have a 260 solar system running through a Morningstar Sunsaver MPPT-15. It works well. I want to add on to my system by installing two new 100 watt panels and a second controller. I have a Tri-Metric 2030RV (not yet installed) and I've been looking at the Bogart SC2030 pwm controller.

Any tips on setting the two so they play well together? The Tri-Metric and the Bogart SC2030 have a unique relationship together as far as intelligent charging goes. Will that combo with Morningstar have a problem? I've read that you want to make sure one is 'Primary' and the other 'Secondary' from a charging voltage standpoint.

Thanks for any tips or ideas.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    No--You really do not need to have a primary and secondary solar charge controller... Just set them to the "same" setpoints (appropriate for your needs/proper battery charging+operation) and let them go. The controllers will not have "exactly" the same setpoints and will decide to transition from bulk to absorb to float at different times--But as long as the battery bank is "happy", there is no issue with the mixed transition times.

In the end, the controller with the "highest" voltage set points will "win".

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • wb7duo
    wb7duo Registered Users Posts: 15 ✭✭
    BB. said:
    No--You really do not need to have a primary and secondary solar charge controller... Just set them to the "same" setpoints (appropriate for your needs/proper battery charging+operation) and let them go. The controllers will not have "exactly" the same setpoints and will decide to transition from bulk to absorb to float at different times--But as long as the battery bank is "happy", there is no issue with the mixed transition times.

In the end, the controller with the "highest" voltage set points will "win".

-Bill
    Thanks Bill! I haven't purchased the second controller yet. But the Bogart looks _Very_ promising combined with the Tri-Metric (which I have anyway) compared to a Morningstar Prostar 30. About the same price point.