Construction of RV solar battery bank

Hi. I'm installing (4) 6v AGM batts onto a 3/4" CDX floor in my fifth wheel's basement area. Each batt's footprint is 7 x 12 with 16 height. I'm not asking about the terminals. My questions is whether they 4 batts can be pushed together or whether their should be some kind of spacer. Generally, I'm screwing down a 2"x2" around the base, then running a couple straps over the top. My concern is whether a spacer between the batts might be required to allow heat dissipation, or not.

Any thoughts on whether spacers make sense and how to implement this, if it makes sense, would be great.

Thanks so much!

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    If your RV is used in the summer--Then having a bit of space between batteries and good airflow will help you keep the battery bank cool (don't want to go much over 95F for long periods of time for best battery life).

If the RV will be used in cold weather--You will want an insulated battery bank with some venting (to keep hydrogen gas levels down when charging)--For best effiency, you want the battery bank >~40F (cold batteries have less apparent capacity). However, charged batteries can go way below freezing for storage ("dead flooded cell batteries" freeze near 32F/0C and will be ruined).

AGM Batteries can take some freezing, but you cannot charge them when "frozen".

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset