Help!! Connecting a Tracer BN to my caravan electrics

johnport
johnport Registered Users Posts: 2
Hi. I am completely new to this. I want to connect my ppt to my 2 batteries (12v) and wonder if I can use the  + and - that were connected to my 240v charger? Also, do I have to use the load connections and how?
Thanks

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    I guess this is your charge controller?:

http://www.epsolarpv.com/en/index.php/Product/pro_content/id/573/am_id/136

And "ppt" really is MPPT (Maximum power point tracking and not some other meaning)?

The "Load Terminal" output current rating is 10 amps for the 10 amp controller and 20 amps maximum for the 20-40 amp charge controller. The good reason to use Load Terminals is if you have "small" DC loads, you can program the controller to turn off loads before the battery is taken dead (if, for example you can program the controller to turn off Loads at ~11.5 to ~12.0 volts). If the controller is "fixed" at 10.5 volts cutoff, then the load terminals don't really help.

Also note that if you want to use something large (like an DC to AC inverter), they usually draw too much DC battery current and would overload the Load Terminals on the Tracer charge controller--Heavy loads need to be attached directly to the battery bank terminals.

And, you are correct, assuming your battery bank wiring is correctly designed, you can connect the solar charge controller +/- charging connections to the same place as the your AC mains charger. Here is a link that explains the "correct" way to wire a battery bank:

http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html

Of course you have to pick the correct DC wire diameter, correct fusing/circuit breaker, and keep 12 volt wire runs short and heavy (keep voltage drop low).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • johnport
    johnport Registered Users Posts: 2
    Thank you Bill, yes I meant mppt, spell check says different!  Thanks for the help, I will let you know how it goes
    John