Outback inverter and System Sizing questions

kaipo_boy
kaipo_boy Solar Expert Posts: 143 ✭✭

I am trying to size a new system I'm thinking of building, it will be 500ah NiFe, 24v battery (trying to see if it can be had as a 48v system, but I don't see how... it's 20 cells of about 1.2v each in series).  In selecting an inverter, I didn't know the Outbacks came with or without the charger until just now. I would want a charger built in, and I think the FX2524 would be fine for my needs; but it comes as a sealed unit in that size, or else I can get a similar one in vented configuration at 3524... another kilowatt. But the idle watts are the same, about 20w so seem to be very similar otherwise. I doubt I would need the extra kw but it would be nice to have since there seems to be no efficiency tax when idling.  Both models have max 30A input for gen charging, which suits me just fine (2x Ryobi 2200 gensets in parallel will just about max out the 30A rating AC input, I'll probably get lazy and just run one of them at around 15A for twice as long).

Question is, has anyone noticed an improved longevity with the sealed vs vented outbacks? I live in a somewhat dusty area in Hawaii so a sealed unit is probably a good idea (unit will be outdoors on exterior wall, with a roof providing shade).  The cc will be a Midnite Classic, and I have been playing with their sizing tool; wanted to go with 4 strings of 3 each 285w (3420w) Trina panels (Vmp = 35.6v, Voc=44.7v, Imp=8.02A and it never gets cold enough in Hawaii for Ioc to matter), but the sizing tool says that is possible only at 48v.  At 24v, I would have to run 3 strings of 3 panels for a 2565w system.  I am told the max charging amps for the 500ah NiFe battery is around 100A but it can take 125A periodically, although it looks like the Classic will max at around 84A in bright sun, comfortably within the battery's limits although I doubt it will reach that current often. 

I am currently on-grid and have a very small 'trial' system of 3x 285w Trina panels with Midnite Kid and 1.5kw Cotek inverter, which have served well to illustrate that I am under-batteried (4x6v GC2, around 210ah @24v has been running about the past 10 months to specific appliances in my home to get just those appliances off grid. My normal daily draw from the Kid seems to be near 2.5kwh in the summer. In the winter I have to unplug one of the appliances to go nearer 1.5kwh or less as there isn't enough sun to support that much load.

aloha,

walt

Comments

• kaipo_boy
    Well, I figured the Outback has an impeccable reputation, so just pulled the trigger on a vfx3524. Hope it likes the Hawaii weather (brutal humidity but no salt air where I live)!
  • zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭
    Mine works so well that it is frankly invisible. I dont give that thing even a seconds thought in a week. I think it was Coot or Bill that said that you can cry once at the beginning or every day after.
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• kaipo_boy
    Zoneblue, 10kWh AGM?? can I ask how much that cost and how many pounds it weighs?
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    KB, mine is a tad smaller and it weighs 1800# per set of 12 - 2V cells.  got mine used on a smokin' deal... basically scrap metal price for lead... before the price dropped.

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • kaipo_boy
    Hahahahhaha, my mistake.  I'm confusing kWh with Ah, easy to do... but vastly different numbers. ZB's signature has 10kWh... or 10,000Wh.... whew. I'm paying a fortune for my measley 500ah and was thinking Holy Smoke! I have to increase my batteries by a factor of 20 to play with the big boys here???
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    I know you are in 'the islands' but an old poster here is in the Caribbean and he managed to connect with some telecom batteries , several times over, just have to network...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016 #8
    Indeed 10kWh is on the light side. We have to be a bit careful in the winter. Ours are also 2V cells (about 30kgs each), which someone we know imported, and had some spare. To buy them here would have cost twice the 2.5K nzd we paid for them. They seem to like the light cycles they get here, and dont sag much when the inverter hits them with 0.3C.
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar