Cheap inverter

2»

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Understand, if you use jumper cables, the alligator clamps may not make good enough connection to reliably start the inverter. Let alone run at rated power.

Reliable connections need to be bolted together.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    No,look at the bottom of my sig line...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • junglejoe39
    junglejoe39 Registered Users Posts: 34
    Been a mechanic all my life. Would never consider buying anything less than the BEST jumper cables to jump a car. I may get drunk more than others but Im not stupid and would never risk my new inverter on jumper cables. I do have 2 boat batteries that I thought I could keep charged all winter wired in parralel and hooked to a HF kit. When they are 13.3-13.5 for 2 days I draw some off with a GTI. Hopefully have some fun with my rare 1971 speedboat this summer. Need 1 cable to make it 24v. Ill figure it out thanks for the help.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    I hoped my comment was taken as constructive--Not criticism. People before have tried jumper cables just to temporally try out a mid to larger size inverter--And when the inverter does not work (correctly), they are concerned that it is broken--And it just turned out that even with good cables and alligator clamps, the connects are not just low enough impedance for the inverter correctly.

You asked about trying two car batteries for a quick test--My suggestion was in response (and attempting) to convey that the DC cables need to be securely mated to the terminals/battery posts.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • junglejoe39
    junglejoe39 Registered Users Posts: 34
    No offense taken. Actually looking at the terminals the way they are Im wondering do I just stick in bare wire or maybe a spade connector.