jimbopa
jimbopa Registered Users Posts: 1
Can anyone tell me where to buy a Freas #99 o #98 Hydrometer

Comments

• inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    jimbopa said:
    Can anyone tell me where to buy a Freas #99 o #98 Hydrometer
    Well, you used to be able to order them through NAWS. http://forum.solar-electric.com/discussion/5407/where-to-buy-a-good-hydrometer
    Not sure if they still stock them.

SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    You might want to look at this hydrometer--A lot of people seem to really like it:

MidNite Solar Hydrovolt Battery Hydrometer

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015 #4

Dang,  just lost a Post ....,

jimbopa,

Personally,   would AVOID the Freas model #98 - in the distant past,  the bulb had too little volume to fill the tube sufficiently to allow readings to be taken,  in most situations.

The Freas #99  is quick,  accurate,  easy to read,  and repeatable  --  this is my every-day Hydrometer.

The Hydrovolt is easy to read,  and is very nice looking.  I DO love the MidNite Solar folks,  who have taken the trouble to import this Hydro.

But,  for batteries with fairly large electrolyte reserve capacity (such as many  Surrette 5000 series),  the sample tube is far too short to allow the Hydrovolt to take a reading,  on this type battery,  unless it has just been over-filled a bit.

And,  IMO,  the Hydrovolt has a very large wetted surface area,  which can,  generally cause a relatively large amount of electrolyte to be removed from the first cell sampled,  in  a given measuring session.

EDIT:  Believe that Freas may well sell directly to retail customers,  or,  at least should be able to direct customers to a Reseller that sells # 99 Hydros,  scaled for use with customary Flooded batteries.  All of the Freas Hydros in use here were purchased from wind-sun,  however.

Just my opinions,   FWIW,   Vic

Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.