PROSINE 2.0 operating issue

Options
James
James Solar Expert Posts: 250 ✭✭
Hello, I have posted a thread in the past regarding the Prosine 2.0.

I have been having an issue with the unit.
The unit is set up as a standby UPS system as follows:

Unit is connected to clean 120 VAC grid power.
Unit battery bank is about 400 amp hour sealed agm batteries (all good readings)
Unit provides backup power to computer/monitor/office light, etc. (Max load well within ratings) (heck, I have even run a 240 VAC well pump off this unit using a T240 transformer with no problems!)

Battery charger portion on float all the time. When grid power drops, inverter operates excellent.

When grid power returns, occasionally the unit does not return to charge mode, nor does the ac loads reconnect to the grid AC power.
The unit sits in standby...no charger, no inverter, no AC grid pass-thru.
Only by using the unit reset on/off switch to reboot the unit will it return the unit to normal operation. The display readout indicates low bus voltage, but a battery reading of 12.9 vdc is well within specs. I have checked for "bad AC" faults in memory, but no problems show up.

I can simulate the issue by turning the AC in breaker on and off a few times...it will not switch back to normal operation about 3-4 time out of 10.

I have called Xantrex, and although somewhat helpfull, they cannot offer suggestions other than sending the unit in for repair. It is out of warranty, so the cost of shipping both ways and who knows how much $$$ to repair it is scary.

They told me to check the usual suspects such as wiring etc.
They also mentioned it may be a software issue.

Anyone have any similar experience?
Any suggestions? thanks, jim

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: PROSINE 2.0 operating issue

i'm not sure if the transfer switch is a relay or not, but it sounds like a relay sticking.
  • AntronX
    AntronX Solar Expert Posts: 462 ✭✭
    Options

I have 12V 2KW prosine 2.0 here. There is a setting in the menu that may be preventing your prosine from restarting. My memory is not clear, but it has something to do with an error message generated inside the unit when grid power fails. As long as that message is not reset, prosine will not invert. I will hook up my prosine later today and find that menu option. Do you have remote control panel for your prosine? There are tonns of adjustable options.
  • niel
    Options

antronx,
    reread what he said here, "it will not switch back to normal operation about 3-4 time out of 10."
    if it's a software thing i would think it would stop it all of the time, would it not?
  • Quabillion
    Quabillion Registered Users Posts: 22
    Options

The only thought I have for the OP is to check all of the parameters of the DC settings in the inverter. According to my prosine owners manual on page 65, table 6 indicates that the unit shuts down at <10V, and will restart when the voltage is >12.5V. There is a comment beside this that says, "The inverter/charger will not restart unless the input voltage exceeds 12.5V or the inverter is turned on manually with the DISABLE/ENABLE switch. If the inverter is already enabled (standby LED is on) move the switch to DISABLE to turn the inverter off, and then move it to ENABLE again to restart the inverter (as long as the battery voltage is between 10-16 V)."

Given only the info in the OP's post, I am thinking that the DC voltage is dropping for a split second below 10V .

Sooooo, my advice is to clean and polish and properly re-torque ALL DC connections to start.
    If the problem persists start looking at the cables and terminals themselves for corrosion and resistance, replacing any that look suspect and/or having out of spec resistance.
  • niel
    Options

good info qb and let us know if that was the problem james.