Charging efficiency Mppt vs PWM

Options
Dapdan
Dapdan Solar Expert Posts: 330 ✭✭
Hi all,

I understanld the concept of the mppt capability to track the MPP and harvest the max. available power from PV modules and not being restricted by the charging voltage of the battery bank. My question has to do with whether or not MPPT can maintain the bulk voltage even when the output voltage of the array may drop when the irradiance level drops and hence be able to continue charging at the required bulk or absorption voltage.

I have monitored my C60 PWM and when the irradiance level drops the voltage on the CC drops below the bulk or absorption voltage as well thereby reducing the efficiency of the charging process.

If indeed the mppt CC can maintain the set Bulk and absorption voltage even when irradiance level has fell (due to clouds) as compared to the PWM CC then i would say the Mppt CC is a more efficient carging source.

Could you correct me where my logic/understand may be incorrect

Thanks
Damani

Comments

• n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Charging efficiency Mppt vs PWM

If the array voltage drops below the bulk voltage, then the charging will current will reduce.
    If the voltage is equal to or below the battery voltage, them all charging will stop.
    Just like your current C60 controller.
    An MPPT charge controller will down convert voltage but will not up convert.