isolating 1/2 of the battery bank

Freewilley
Freewilley Solar Expert Posts: 228 ✭✭
I am seeing my 2 battery strings growing apart in SG levels. I am not sure why this is. I have been equalizing them regularly and testing SGs. This just seems to have developed over a week or so. More abou that later, but RIGHT NOW I would like to disconnect one string so that I can equalize them separately before this gets worse.

If I just remove one of the neg/pos connections from either string, am I right that this will leave the other string connected and charging without any issue?
Or do I have to rewire the bank without the neg/neg and pos/pos cables?

this is my bank....
Attachment not found.
Mate, VFX 2812, FM 60 & MX 60, 2 Full River AGM 400 6v, 1400 watt Solar Array, Yamaha 3000iSEB inverter gen
12 volt Flojet water pump
off grid summer home in northern Ontario

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Just disconnect one of the series connections.

A few people here would probably suggest swapping batteries. Hi sg to low sg position and vice versa.

Some people have seen banks that appear to have position dependent charging.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Freewilley wrote: »
    I am seeing my 2 battery strings growing apart in SG levels. I am not sure why this is.

Perhaps the problem is because you have wired your batteries improperly. The way you have your batteries wired will cause the upper two batteries to do more of the cycling. The negative wire should come from the battery in the lower right corner of your diagram.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Freewilley
    Freewilley Solar Expert Posts: 228 ✭✭
    Thanks guys.
    Sorry Vic, A little misinformation on my part, my wiring is not exactly like the stock diagram I found on the net. My Pos lead goes to lower left battery, with connection to pos on upper left. So I think that is not the issue?

One thing I must check out, one pos/neg connector is 4/0, the other is unbranded and is slightly less in diameter (about 1/16th of an inch). Not sure that the gauge is different or the difference is different coatings.They are the same length. They did come from different sources.
    Mate, VFX 2812, FM 60 & MX 60, 2 Full River AGM 400 6v, 1400 watt Solar Array, Yamaha 3000iSEB inverter gen
    12 volt Flojet water pump
    off grid summer home in northern Ontario