Skystream 3.7 looking for tech. in Kansas

norzmen
norzmen Registered Users Posts: 3
Hi,

I'm new to the forums and any help is appreciated. We recently bought a home with a skystream 3.7 wind turbine. It had been working great but recently the blades have stopped spinning and we're looking for someone in Southeast Kansas (Pittsburg, KS) area to come take a look. I've tried searching through the net, but have had little luck locating a company that services residential wind turbines in the area

If we're unable to find anyone I would consider trying to fix myself; I believe the system has stopped working due to a leak in the electrical box in which the cable from the skystream and back to the disconnect close to the house were wired together. I've read when the skystream experiences a fault condition there is a latch that locks in the safety relay board and the only way to unlock is to introduce a 48vdc signal across two pins. We're trying to get the turbine up and running again. Thanks!

Comments

• inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Do you have a tilt tower or do you have to lower the turbine off the tower to work on it?
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • Zakarume
    Zakarume Solar Expert Posts: 143 ✭✭
    Hey Norzmen. I am from the Joplin, Mo area. Sorry i dont know of any company in this area that service wind turbine. The only company i know that sells Wind Turbines is Missouri Wind and Solar. Best thing right now is ask on the Forum for help
    1460 Watts Solar @24v. 675 AH Battery Bank using 12 6v Trojan T-105. 1 Midnite Classic 150. 1500 Watt 24v Samlex Pure Sine Inverter
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    This company has taken over the Skystream product:

http://windenergy.com/products/skystream/skystream-3.7

And there are a couple dealers near Wichita Kansas (I don't know anything about the dealers):

http://windenergy.com/buy

Prior to the present problems, did you have monthly KWatt*Hour production numbers for the unit?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • norzmen
    I'm not sure how the original owner installed, but my best guest is he used a crane because there is not a single eyelet to be found on the pole and no pivot point for tilting. This was a big disappointment when I discovered it. I'm however determined to get this system running again and I have a strong electrical background and access to a metal fab shop if needed.
  • norzmen
    I'm familiar with Xzeres and have reached out to them recently to see if they have someone close to send out. i'm not expecting, but figured it was a good staring point.

The generator produced roughly 600kwh per month which really helped us out on the bill to the almighty power company.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    600 kWH per month--That is really quite good.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset