Whisper 100 controller

Cski
Cski Registered Users Posts: 11 ✭✭
I have a whisper 100 generator with the original whisper controller. The controller no longer is working. I would rather not spend the $700 for another whisper controller. I am looking at getting an xantrex c60 controller with a 1200 watt resistor diversion load and an 80 amp rectifier. This set would be a lot cheaper. My concern is I don't know what the max 3 phase ac output of the generator is. I don't know if I would need a transformer before the rectifier or not. Has anyone else have a whisper 100 with any other controller than the whisper controller. For the output I get from the wind generator I can't justify the $700. But I hate to have good wind generator not doing anything.

Comments

• inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    The combination of a Midnite Solar Classic with their Clipper will do the same thing or better, since it can be programmed with the voltage and power versus speed data for the turbine. You might not save money, but you would get better performance.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • Cski
    inetdog wrote: »
    You might not save money, but you would get better performance.

That would be a nice set up, but I would rather save the money for some extra solar panels. I just want to be able to use the wind gen since it is already there without a large investment if possible.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    The general small wind turbines I have seen are just:

Alternator -> 3 phase to DC bridge rectifier (6 diodes+heat sink) -> Switch (straight through for charging, short +/- rectifier output to stop turbine--NOT Battery) -> fuse/breaker -> Battery

And use a C40 or similar PWM controller with "Shunt" regulation + Resistor Bank.

Here is a good primer on diodes/bridge rectifiers:

http://www.thebackshed.com/Windmill/...Rectifiers.asp

The switch, wiring, rectifier, fuse need to be sized to carry the maximum alternator current * 1.25 to 1.56 (minimum) rating. You don't wan the fuse/breaker to pop or wiring to cook in during a wind storm.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Ethan Brush
    Ethan Brush Solar Expert Posts: 235 ✭✭
    Cski wrote: »
    I have a whisper 100 generator with the original whisper controller. The controller no longer is working. I would rather not spend the $700 for another whisper controller. I am looking at getting an xantrex c60 controller with a 1200 watt resistor diversion load and an 80 amp rectifier. This set would be a lot cheaper. My concern is I don't know what the max 3 phase ac output of the generator is. I don't know if I would need a transformer before the rectifier or not. Has anyone else have a whisper 100 with any other controller than the whisper controller. For the output I get from the wind generator I can't justify the $700. But I hate to have good wind generator not doing anything.

Yes you can easily do what you propose, I did the same thing. The whisper "controller" doesnt do anything fancy, all it is is a rectifier and diversion resistor. You dont need a tansformer (unless you had one before because you had the high voltage version or you turbine voltage didnt match your system voltage). The absolute max I have seen out of my whisper 200 is 70 amps at 12 volts. What is your system voltage?
  • Ethan Brush
    Ethan Brush Solar Expert Posts: 235 ✭✭
    A few more thoughts:

I would recommend the tristar diversion controller instead of the xantrex. The xantrex is very slow to respond so the system voltage swings around quite a bit. If you have a rather large battery bank it may not be an issue. On the negative side however, be careful with home made resistors on the tri star. Those controllers are very sensitive to back emf and won't tolerate wire wound resistors. Finally, just in case you were not aware, you will need a three phase bridge rectifier.
  • Cski
    What is your system voltage?
    24 volt with an 1100 ah battery bank.
    Thanks for the info I will look into the tristar as well.