Generac Ecogen 6kW? anyone installed one?

stunaz
stunaz Registered Users Posts: 2
So we're trying to install the Generac Ecogen 6kW to our existing off grid system.

Currently using the Xantrex DR3624 inverter and Outback Flexmax 60 charge controller. Generacs schematic asks for a 2wire start to be ran into the generator, but i cant find it on the inverter or charge controller. Any ideas?

also... would the Xantrex DR3624 be considered an Inverter/Charger ? or just Inverter ? (meaning, if a generator is connected to the inverter it sends AC power to Dist. Panel and Charges batteries at the same time)

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    It is an Inverter-Charger... It can take AC power from the AC input and use it to recharge your battery bank. No separate AC to DC battery charger required.

Here is a link to a nice archived copy of the specifications/manuals for the DR family. (I think this is your model)

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • stunaz
    stunaz Registered Users Posts: 2
    BB. wrote: »
    It is an Inverter-Charger... It can take AC power from the AC input and use it to recharge your battery bank. No separate AC to DC battery charger required.

Here is a link to a nice archived copy of the specifications/manuals for the DR family. (I think this is your model)

-Bill

thank you
    the generator need a 2wire start (to turn on automatically when batteries are low) which this unit doesnt have (i think)... do you know of another way the generator could be connected ? or an addon part that would give this inverter a 2wire start?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Sorry, I am not in the business--I just volunteer here... Hopefully somebody else can chime in.

Personally, unless you really need auto-start--Manual start (for example, start the early in the morning after a couple of rainy days and run until the sun is full on the panels (maybe 9am or)--Then let the solar finish the charging.

There are so many thing that can go wrong with auto-start systems+generators--If you can live with manual start--I would try that first.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mrdlbd
    mrdlbd Registered Users Posts: 1
    On the generator side, the 2 wire connection is behind the controller and under the terminal connection cover. Unless I missunderstood your question, or you have a different model.
  • Tulumtam
    Tulumtam Solar Expert Posts: 37 ✭✭
    I don't think the DR series inverters have a 12v aux output, which is what you need.  You also need to program the voltage settings, and there is very little programming that can be done on a DR inverter/charger.  Xantrex used to sell and AGS module that worked with the TRs (I maintain several systems with TRs and AGS modules).  

I have always wondered if you could use the aux output of the Flexmax 60 for this purpose.  In theory, you could use the Low Battery Disconnect option to close a relay to start the generator and then when it reaches a certain voltage it should disengage.  This would only allow the generator to bulk, not to absorb.  I haven't tried this, but in theory, it should work.  You have to program in the LBD and reconnect voltages.

No matter how you get a voltage trigger to send the signal to the generator to start, you will need to use an NO relay and the 12v signal will close the contacts to start the generator.  I just installed an Ecogen a couple of months ago with an Outback VFX inverter using the 12v aux output and it works great.
  • SolarMusher
    SolarMusher Solar Expert Posts: 176 ✭✭✭
    Take a look at the magnum stand alone ags module, it will do what you want and give you more advanced possibilities than a single relay on FM60 aux.