No Output power on a TriMetric SC-2030

Options
goyakpacking
goyakpacking Registered Users Posts: 4
Looking for info. I am trying to fire up my system. I think I have a bad Controller? I applied the Battery voltage to the SC first. I then applied the PV Panel voltage to the SC. All parts are new. My controller did not appear to be charging? None of the indicator lights ever come on. My TM-2030-RV meter was reading a constant 12.8. Battery voltage reading does not change. I read the output side of the SC with a VOM meter and recorded the voltage similar to the 12.8. This 12.8 was read with the battery connected to the SC. I opened the battery connections and read the batteries (with nothing attached) and see that same voltage of 12.8. I assume the SC should be pumping out 13+ volts? I believed the 12.8V was nothing more than reading my battery supplied voltage.

Troubleshooting:

Off my panels and at the input ("SOLAR" terminals) of my TriMetric SC-2030 I read 18 Volts. At the correct potential too (not reversed polarity)

At my TriMetric SC-2030 output ("BATTERY" terminals) I read my battery bank voltage (if batteries are metered with everything disconnected from them). Since the SC appears to be non functioning I pulled the battery wires off the output side of the SC and I read zero volts at the SC-2030 "Battery Terminals (perhaps not a good thing to do with the panels applying voltage to the input....but the SC seems to be toast anyway. Can you test a SC this way?

The SC-2030 jumper pins are properly set for "12V" and "Flooded" batteries. That is my system. The Amber and Green indicator lights on the SC-2030 are always off. Never flash or light up. I have a TM-2030-RV meter too and it functions..... but I have completely disconnected it to troubleshoot the Controller. (Which should work by itself)

Shouldn't I read some type of SC output voltage, with 18V panel voltage applied to the input? Or does the controller completely shut down if no load or battery is connected? Will the SC be damaged with voltage applied to the input while no battery is connected on the output? How would you check otherwise?

Is there anything further I can check.... or do you think the controller is defective?

~Thanks for any help!

System: 12volt system: (2) Kyocera 140 watt panels (280 watt max) KD140SX-UFBS, TriMetric SC-2030 Charge/Controller, TM-2030-RV meter, Battery Sensor, (2) Flooded Marine Deep Cycle Batteries). Installed on a Trailer that also has a WFCO 120VAC to 12VDC converter tied in for use with shore/park power. Also tied in is the ability to charge off the tow vehicle alternator. Additionally there is an Onan 4000 watt genset wired to a manual transfer switch allowing AC from the genset or "Shore/Park" power.... to power the AC to DC converter as well as the standard 110VAC outlets. No inverter at this time.

Comments

• grizzzman
    grizzzman Registered Users Posts: 18 ✭✭
    Options
    Have you tryed this ? Disconnect the pos or neg solar panel connection. Connect the battery connections then reconnect the solar panel connections. You should see the lights become active. It needs the battery connection first so it can control solar input. Lets hope you didnt burn it out.
    Boondocking is my game
    640 Watts Mono Bogart TM2030 and SC2030  Controller GC 6V 208 AH  Costco batteries  300 Watt Inverter and 2000 watt inverter 100AH LIFEPO4 2P4S
  • goyakpacking
    Options
    Thanks Grizzman. Yes I tried that. The lights never came on at any time on initially turning up the system. I had started with the battery first thinking down the same thought as yours. I then applied the voltage from the panels. Easy enough since I put DC breakers on both sides of the SC-2030.... in both leads of the panel wires, and a third breaker in the positive battery lead. I am fairly certain the SC-2030 is not outputting. Of course with everything hooked up I read my battery voltage at the "Battery" terminals of the SC-2030. But it was in the range of 12.8V....and it never went up over a long period of time. That is the exact reading my batteries are at if I read them with everything disconnected....so there isn't any charging happening.

Since all of that I also put the meter on it with just the panel voltage hooked up.....reading zero volts at the SC-2030 output "Battery" terminals. It made no difference. I just didn't know if the SC-2030 would output anything if no battery was connected? I have to assume it would? If it is toast it happened before the battery was disconnected.

I can't find any technical info on-line to answer this or troubleshoot anything. If someone knows more please let me know.

I have emailed Bogart since it is the weekend. Hope to know something by Monday. I bought the SC-2030 on line and have contacted that seller too.
  • grizzzman
    Options
    The unit is simple as to how it works. I ran mine "stand alone"for a week. It worked exactly as Ralph decribes it in the manuel. Sounds like you have a defective unit. If the online buisness falters go right to Ralph, he will without a dought take care of ya. Keep us informed as how you are taken care of.
    Boondocking is my game
    640 Watts Mono Bogart TM2030 and SC2030  Controller GC 6V 208 AH  Costco batteries  300 Watt Inverter and 2000 watt inverter 100AH LIFEPO4 2P4S
  • goyakpacking
    Options
    Both my on-line seller (Not NAWS) and Bogart (Ralph) Contacted me. I was disappointed neither offered to ship me a new unit out today. Ralph had me check some meter readings and agreed the unit seems to be defective. He said ship it to him for repair or replacement.

I saw the writing on the wall prior to being able to make these arrangements. Turn around time was not going to be acceptable for me doing an R&R. I had already convinced myself the unit was bad. I ordered a new SC-2030 from Northern Arizona Solar over the weekend and am having it shipped Next Day.

When the unit I sent back to Bogart today.... is R&R'd to me.... I have to just look at it as a spare. The double expense and postage in all of this is a killer. But if that is what it takes to meet a deadline...so be it. Just not happy about the whole thing.

More later.....as I come to a conclusion in all of this.

• goyakpacking
    Options
    NAWS had a new SC-2030 in my hands over night. It took about 5 minutes to connect it up and turn on the juice. I have indicator lights and charging voltage.....happy day. I would have been more happy had I not needed to purchase the second unit to meet a deadline. The SC-2030 I sent back to Bogart will become a spare.

The on-line seller refunded my postage on the first unit. That was a great gesture on their part. I still think there needs to be a better and faster replacement procedure on these.

Once I have my original replaced/repaired and back in my hands I will update. Bogart has emailed back and forth several times to tell me the unit had a bad solder connection. We will see how long turn around takes on a repair/replacement.
  • grizzzman
    Options
    Thanks for letting us know how it was resolved. On the bright side if you ever need more then 30 amps you could couple both SC2030's to your TM2030 with a simple phone cord mod. It sucks to have problems. I ended up getting a 250 amp shunt. (Ordered a 500 amp shunt) ended up taking two weeks for the correct one ( Called a week later and found that they "forgot" to ship it.) However i lucked out I simply hooked up the shunt to one of the 12 volt batteries. It worked well untell the correct shunt showed up.
    Boondocking is my game