Home Weather Station

Options
Zakarume
Zakarume Solar Expert Posts: 143 ✭✭
1460 Watts Solar @24v. 675 AH Battery Bank using 12 6v Trojan T-105. 1 Midnite Classic 150. 1500 Watt 24v Samlex Pure Sine Inverter

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello "Zakarume", welcome to the forum.
    Both myself and my 91 year old Uncle have had the La Cross units. They worked well, until the flimsy arms on the wind cups broke on one, and the whole cup assembly fell out and blew away from the other. Found part of the remains of the broken cup assy later. Not repairable, too flimsy.
    Both lasted only a couple of years.
    We now both have the Davis Instruments units and both the wind cups and their arms are far stronger, a MUCH stronger and better overall design. In this case, you get what you pay for.
    One other thing - - - if you live in an area prone to freezing rain - - - the La Cross design resulted in regular icing up and stalling of the wind cups until the temperatures came above freezing and the ice melted, which could take a week or two here. While this has happened with the Davis unit, it is not a regular occurrence like with the La Cross. Heavy wet snow sometimes also stalled the La Cross, but not the Davis. Just a different design of both the wind cups, and how they are connected to the main unit.
    Also, in our experience, the Davis has a far greater distance range of the wireless transmissions, in the range of 10 times greater distance.
    Hope this helps.
  • pleppik
    pleppik Solar Expert Posts: 62 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've had a Davis Vantage Pro for about ten years (they now have a Vantage Pro2 model which replaced this one).

I've been very happy with it. It's rock solid and just works. My only complaint has been with the quality of the Mac software, which I stopped using years ago because it was clunky and outdated. Fortunately there are some good third-party options.

The Vantage Vue is a lower-end model, so I would expect some corners to be cut. But Davis makes good quality equipment, so I would expect the Vue to perform well.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Zakarume,

Have run the Davis Vantage Pro II for at least 14 years in one location, and for about 12 years at another.

Had one issue with the oldest one, where there seemed to be a connection problem with a cable in the remote making poor connection.

The second unit has been flawless for 10.5 years, and the UltraCapacitor in the unit became leaky. The LI Primary CR123 battery in this unit lased 10.5 years, but went dead, when the ultracap died. Just clipped out that bad cap, and now need to replace the CR123 battery about once every 12 months ... not bat at all.

All-in-all the Davis VantagePro II are very solid units, for the very serious about WX monitoring -- they are widely used in the Agricultural industry.

Have no experience with the VantageView units, which are all-in-one units, where the Aneomometer is not separable from the rest of the ISS, but expect that they are a cut above any of the other units in the Consumer end of the market.

The VPII's Spread Spectrum 900 Mhz radio in the remote sensor unit is amazingly good, and works over very long ranges, with just the standard antennas. Am very impressed with these Davis WX Staations, and would not hesitate to recommend them.

FWIW, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • westyd1982
    westyd1982 Solar Expert Posts: 85 ✭✭
    Options
    I have had the Davis Vantage Vue for a few years (I had a Lacross for many years before - poor quality). The outside unit has worked well. I occasional have difficulty with the inside unit. I have the data logger and it works well with a computer using wview software (free). I'd buy another one.
  • K4KMG
    K4KMG Solar Expert Posts: 50 ✭✭
    Options
    Davis Vantage Pro II+. Had some of the cheaper brands. Waste of money. They all died. The Pro II has been running 24/7 for the past 7 years without a hiccup. k4kmgweather.com
  • Zakarume
    Zakarume Solar Expert Posts: 143 ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks to everyone that responded. Looks like i will get the Davis Weather Station
    1460 Watts Solar @24v. 675 AH Battery Bank using 12 6v Trojan T-105. 1 Midnite Classic 150. 1500 Watt 24v Samlex Pure Sine Inverter