Battery Sense

Options
boisblancboy
boisblancboy Solar Expert Posts: 131 ✭✭✭✭✭
Could someone explain to me exactly what the Battery Sense on a CC actually does. I have read that part in the manual many times and it just really isnt sinking it for some reason.

Comments

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Battery Sense

IF your are referring to the battery temperature "sensor", that is a thermistor that the controller uses to measure the battery temperature and then adjusts the charging parameters accordingly.

Other than that, I have no idea.. ( You may have posted somewhere, but what controller are you using?)

T
  • boisblancboy
    Options

I am using the ProStar 30M. Nope its not the temperature sensor im talking about. It has connections one for + and one of - that run to the respective battery terminals. Its recommended that if the charger is more than 5 meters from the battery these be connected. I think it has something to do with voltage drop and more accurate charging. I just wasnt sure how it worked exactly.

I just ordering a Remote Temperature Battery Sensor as well. Even though my charger is going to be pretty close to the battery should I leave the RTBS wire full length?
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

After reading the sheet from Morningstar,, I agree that the "sense" terminals are a way for the controller to compensate for loss between the battery and the controller.

Reading the battery sensor instructions, it is suggested that if you need more length, cut the existing cable and wire in the extension between the two ends. The temp sensor is just a variable resistor (thermistor) that changes it's resistance with temp at a defined rate. Cutting the cable shouldn't have any effect on it's operation. (Having said that, smarter folk than I might disagree. If you can leave it long, and coiled up, it will also work fine. It doesn't carry much current.

Hope that helps.

Tony
  • boisblancboy
    Options

Yes that did help thanks. I dont plan on hooking up the Sense wires since the battery and controller are only 2 feet apart, so according to the manual, its not needed.

I did order the RTBS and if its no problem to leave the cable full length, then I will just coil it up and tuck it away nicely.

Thank ya much
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Remote voltage sense (battery sense) is really a great feature... This is often done when there are high currents and an accurate voltage reading at the load is needed.

By connecting the "sense" leads to the battery terminals, no matter how much voltage drop (or how much current is flowing) there is in the cables between the controller and the battery--the battery voltage is exactly measured by the controller.

Usually, if the voltage sense leads are not connected (or one breaks) there should be couple resistors inside the controller that will read the voltage at the controller's heavy battery connection points.

I wish all large controllers had these battery sense leads--it would make everything a bit more accurate and less dependent on heavy/short cables.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • boisblancboy
    Options

Since I do have the option then I might as well use it, it can only help to be more accurate and prolong battery life?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Yes, and possibly "faster" charging and closer to "100%" full charge (anything that drops apparent voltage would be a detriment to a fast and complete charge).

Regarding attaching the voltage sense leads... Follow it instructions in the manual--if there are not any, then either use a small fuse (1 amp or even much less) at the positive terminal to sense wire connection. The fuse will not add any error voltage (the sense current should be very small--In computer systems, I would just use an appropriate resistor at the source to limit current), and will protect the positive sense wire from causing a fire if it shorts to ground.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • boisblancboy
    Options

Then I shall hook it up! In the manual it just simply says connect the corresponding Sense, positive and negative, to the pos and neg battery terminals and since that is a very low current that i can use smaller wire.