Battery racks?

JoshK
JoshK Solar Expert Posts: 232 ✭✭
I'm wondering if anyone has a good solution to get the batteries off the floor. (4) GC2 batteries to be specific. I'm imagining a stack of all 4 upright. Any experience out there on this issue?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Stacking batteries (if I understand you correctly) has the issues of longer cabling and problems accessing the battery caps for watering/checking specific gravity.

4 tall might be a bit difficult to access the top cells without a ladder (if you leave lots of space between levels).

-Bill "my 2 cents" B.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • South Africa
    South Africa Solar Expert Posts: 295 ✭✭✭
    I was told by my battery supplier to look at the stands used for battery displays. Not expensive, and you can easily access the battery caps, if you have the right design.
    5kVA Victron Multiplus II, 5.2kW array, 14kWh DIYLifepo4 bank, all grid-tied.

• scrubjaysnest
    scrubjaysnest Solar Expert Posts: 175 ✭✭✭
    Ours were stair stepped. 125 Volt system, the top row was a bit difficult to reach.
  • JoshK
    JoshK Solar Expert Posts: 232 ✭✭
    The battery racks used in stores are quite big for just my 4 batteries, but it is a good idea for many batteries.
    Each battery is 12.9" high.
    It would take some of metalwork, but I was considering buying a $40 "hand truck" and welding battery holder shelves to it. But I am willing to spend a little more for something that makes watering easier.