New to solar and need help designing a system to run freezer

Options
MauiSun
MauiSun Registered Users Posts: 7 ✭✭
Aloha,

Im new to the forum and solar in general, and I was hoping I could get some advice on setting up an offgrid system to run a fridge, sattelite internet and router, a couple energy efficient lights, a small solar pump, and a couple hours of phone charging a day.

We purchased a property on the north shore of beautiful Maui late last year, and we have been in a ferocious battle with the local electric company since. We just finally got them to come cut the power on the live wires that were coming out of the ground and used to be attached to a temporary power pole (that has been there for 35+ years, ha).When we bought the property they came and cut those wires, leaving them live on the property for months. Anyways, very long story short, we have decided to go full off grid solar. It's that, or lots of trenching, installing a concrete pull box, electrical permitting, and a tremendous headache inducing permit catch 22 that might involve us having to install a septic tank.

So, for the fridge I am looking at a 10.6 cubic ft GE chest freezer, model FCM11PH, with an energy consumption of 218kwh/yr.
I am not sure if I will be running it as a freezer or converting it into a fridge yet, so I will be sizing up the solar setup to run it as a freezer.

For sattelite, it isn't setup yet, and I'm having trouble finding numbers on its consumption. I'm assuming somewhere around 40w for modem and router? Does anyone have some numbers or experience with sat internet? We would be using it for about 5 hours a day, and unplugging it when not in use.

We have a 15k gallon water catchment tank, with a power sucking surface pump. I would like to add a second small tank on the hill behind the house, and pump water from the big tank to the little tank via a small and efficient solar pump, add a shut off sensor for when it fills, then gravity feed back to the house. Again, I don't have any numbers on consumption with solar pumps, but my understanding is that it's pretty minimal.

Freezer:220Kwh/yr
Two cell phones: 15w*2 phones*2 hours=60wh/day or about 22Kwh/yr
Sattelite modem and router: 40w*5hrs=200Wh/day or 73Kwh
Lights: 5W*3hrs*4 bulbs= 60Wh/day or 22Kwh/yr
Solar pump: ? Not sure on a number here, but I think it will most likely have its own dedicated DC array, so we will exclude it for now.

Total of 264Kwh/yr

Solar radiation is an average of 5.74kwh/m2
So 1590Kwh/yr with 1kw dc array if I used the nrel calculator correctly.

So my questions are:

What size array, inverter and battery bank should I have?
What size inverter will I need to accommodate this freezers power surge?
Is it possible to have two inverters in line? For example, if I had two morningstar star 300w inverters, would the 600w be enough for the power surge?
What are some of the best deep cycle battery brands? Do I get golf cart batteries?
can I charge those batteries using my champion 3000w generator?
Also, any reccomendations of sites to shop from would be greatly appreciated. There seems to be quite a bit of difference in prices from site to site.

I know I still have a ton of research to do and lots to learn before I even think of making a purchase.
All help and advice is very much appreciated.
Can't wait to have electricity again!
Mahalo!