EMF Lightning ?

Options
verdigo
verdigo Solar Expert Posts: 428 ✭✭
Tips the season here in Southern KY. I work about a hundred miles from where my system resides. I have been shutting my system down when the forecast is for thunderstorms. The question is ..... Is damage that much more likely with the system operating than with it turned off? Also how many SPDs and what is the priority for placement if not all are purchased at the same time?

I understand that it won't matter in the case of a direct hit.

Thanks.

Dennis

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    verdigo wrote: »
    thunderstorms. The question is ..... Is damage that much more likely with the system operating than with it turned off? Dennis

Probably not much difference. However, if the devices are disconnected from all external wiring, breakers off etc, you would be less likely to suffer damage - - unless a very close or direct strike.
    When lightening happens here, I pull all switches and breakers around controllers and inverters, both inputs and outputs on all devices, then sit back and hope for the best.
    If the wires are still directly connected, even small voltage spikes will be fed right into the devices. If you want to get safer still, disconnect the wires and move them 10 feet away from the devices.
  • verdigo
    verdigo Solar Expert Posts: 428 ✭✭
    Options
    That is pretty much what I have been doing. Just hate the thought of leaving it off for the day.