Finish solar for home. now for pop up camper

Zakarume
Zakarume Solar Expert Posts: 143 ✭✭
I have finished my solar at home. Producing excellent power and more for what i need. But now i am starting on my 2nd project and that is solar for my pop up camper. I am not planning much in the way of dry camping. Only for 1 day and night with no hook ups from camping site. I just ordered http://www.renogy-store.com/Renogy-1...tcs100d-nc.htm. Charge Controller will be inside camper. However i dont want to use MC4 connectors on outside to hook up and would like to use the big Anderson Connectors. Would these be good to use http://www.solar-electric.com/anderson-sb50-kit-10-12.html
1460 Watts Solar @24v. 675 AH Battery Bank using 12 6v Trojan T-105. 1 Midnite Classic 150. 1500 Watt 24v Samlex Pure Sine Inverter

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,433 admin
    You want to use the Anderson connectors for solar array to charge controller? Or charge controller to battery? Battery to AC inverter? Or what?

The 50 amp connectors seem overkill for one or two 100 Watt solar panels to charge controller.

Obviously, the conectors are not water proof--So they would need to be dried out after a rain. Also, the housing are not UV (sunlight) rated--So they should be kept shaded/inside the RV.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • unseenone
    unseenone Solar Expert Posts: 61
    Nothing wrong with Anderson connectors however, you need the right crimper for them, unless you have one. The reason you might have to go larger for the Anderson connector is the 50amp, does not support some larger wire, say if you are doing a longer run. You can order them preconfigured with cable. Remember, they are color coded, so you need a pair of the same color to mate.

I would not suggest Anderson connectors on the outside solar panel feed lines. Although you can get weather boots for them, it seems like MC4 would be the most compact, water resistant and best overall solution.

I hope this helps.
  • Zakarume
    Zakarume Solar Expert Posts: 143 ✭✭
    Decided to go with a plug and play type of Solar panel. Just connect to battery. Charge it. The unplug when charged
    1460 Watts Solar @24v. 675 AH Battery Bank using 12 6v Trojan T-105. 1 Midnite Classic 150. 1500 Watt 24v Samlex Pure Sine Inverter
  • scrubjaysnest
    scrubjaysnest Solar Expert Posts: 175 ✭✭✭
    Zakarume wrote: »
    Decided to go with a plug and play type of Solar panel. Just connect to battery. Charge it. The unplug when charged

Compare prices, might be cheaper to make your own plug and play. That is the original route I went, two 80 watt panels, SS 10 CC and 20 feet of 10 AWG marine wire. 3/4 inch pvc for stands. 100 watt panels are now less then what I paid for the 80 watt a couple of years ago.