Xantrex Prosine 1000 Inverter Startup Load

Options
rs500
rs500 Registered Users Posts: 6 ✭✭
When our Xantrex Prosine 1000 inverter is started with any load (say 1 or 2 amps or more) it triggers the low-voltage disconnect on our Midnite Solar controller. Interestingly another inverter does NOT trigger the low-voltage disconnect even when loaded with 15 amps. So, I presume there is some unusual initial current draw on the Xantrex inverter. I do not have any equipment fast enough to track the instantaneous load when the inverter in started. Is there a possibility that something in the Xantrex inverter needs to be replaced?

Thanks, Ron

Comments

• Alaska Man
    Alaska Man Solar Expert Posts: 252 ✭✭
    Options
    My Xentrex does not do cause that.

You might have a setting off somewhat. I'm really scratching my head as to why a Controller would kick-off when an Inverter wakes up. They are really at opposite ends of the battery bank function. It may be a simple as a lose connection?

Call Midnight and talk with the techs, they are very helpful.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    It sounds like either a cabling/wiring problem with the battery bank (loose/corroded connections). Long/smaller diameter cables, One set of cables shared to both the inverter and the charge controller (ideally, each major device should be "home run" back to the battery bus to keep them from confusing each other--Cable voltage drop, etc.).

Another possibility could be a bad battery--Sulfated and not able to keep up with the initial surge.

Or it could even be a bad AC inverter. If there is a timing problem inside the Inverter, you can get both "high" and "low" FETs turned on at the same time for a very short period of time--And cause the battery voltage to collapse (don't know how likely this failure would be, in my years of work, I found exactly one DC computer fan with this problem). Eventually, the AC inverter will fail/pop a fuse if this was the problem.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset