Separate Inverter and Charger to one battery

alkit
alkit Registered Users Posts: 6
Hi,
Trying to find some info on the net, but can't see anyone who gives a clear answer on this:
Question is:
I want to have a system whereby it is permanently connected 24/7, and switches over to battery power during a power outage
Instead of connecting a UPS to a battery for power outages, can one connect a separate charger and inverter to the same battery?

If my logic serves me right, this would mean the following would happen:
1) Inverter would run constantly (with fan noise) as it is constantly converting from 12V to AC power
2) Charger would run constantly (unless power is out) as it is always topping up the battery due to constant use from the inverter

Surely this would be a highly inefficient setup, as it involves AC power -> 12V DC -> back to AC constantly.
As opposed to a UPS which bypasses inverter mode and pulls directly from AC when there is power?

Is the above correct? If so, then I guess a proper UPS would be the correct way to go?

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• gww1
    gww1 Solar Expert Posts: 963 ✭✭
    An outback inverter can run loads directly for the grid and when the power goes out it swithches to battery to run the loads. I am not sure what you are getting at. Also on the noise. It is better to put the equiptment where the noise doesn't hurt. My furnace makes noise and my hot water heater makes noise, My thermostate low voltage supply clicks. All modern conviniances that I either have in good locations, get used to and don't want to live without.
    Good luck
    gww
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    edited January 2017 #3
    Perfectly ok to charge and 100% on inverter.

Down side is 85% inverter efficiency.

Up side, of you have critical computer (desktop), some times switching from ac mains to inverter backup can cause computers (and other electronics] to reboot (such as dirty brown out/power fail which delays inverter switch over).

If you have battery backed laptops, dirty transfers are not an issue.

Or use small inverter continuous converting for a computer, and use a fail over inverter for loads that don't care.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • DaveLionberger
    DaveLionberger New Member Posts: 3
    BB. wrote: »
    Perfectly ok to charge and 100% on inverter.

Down side is 85% inverter efficiency.

Up side, of you have critical computer (desktop) sine times switch from ac mains to inverter backup can cause computers (and other electronics] to reboot (dirty brown out/power fail delays inverter switch over).

If you have battery backed laptops, dirty transfers are not an issue.

Or use small inverter continuous converting for a computer, and use a fail over inverter for loads that don't care.

-Bill
    [FONT=&quot]Hi Bill,
    I have been watching this site for about a year or so. I have got to ask a question here.
    I live in a 40' motorhome with 4 - 6V batteries, size is not important for this question.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I am plugged in to Shore Power ALL THE TIME 24/7. My converter/inverter is charging my batteries all the time. Since I am plugged in all the time I almost never use the inverter part. That said...[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1. Should I could leave my inverter (charger) on all the time to keep my batteries charged to 100% all the time.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]2. Should I could turn off my inverter (manually) so my batteries could discharge to about 80% or so while using the motorhome lights, furnace fan and controller, the refrigerator controller and so on.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]My question is which should I do? #1 or #2?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Thanks for your time and I have learned so much reading threads on this site.[/FONT]
    I have lived in motorhomes full time for over 13 years, I have two 50w 12v panels, 12/24 PWMSCC_10 (10 Amp) charge controller, Four golf cart batteries (wired series and parallel to 12v) 200AH and Roadpro RPPI-500W 500/1000 Watt Inverter.
  • DaveLionberger
    [FONT=&quot]Hi Bill,
    I have been watching this site for about a year or so. I have got to ask a question here.
    I live in a 40' motorhome with 4 - 6V batteries, size is not important for this question.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I am plugged in to Shore Power ALL THE TIME 24/7. My converter/inverter is charging my batteries all the time. Since I am plugged in all the time I almost never use the inverter part. That said...[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1. Should I could leave my inverter (charger) on all the time to keep my batteries charged to 100% all the time.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]2. Should I could turn off my inverter (manually) so my batteries could discharge to about 80% or so while using the motorhome lights, furnace fan and controller, the refrigerator controller and so on.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Thanks for your time and I have learned so much reading threads on this site.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Hi Bill,

I have lived in motorhomes full time for over 13 years, I have two 50w 12v panels, 12/24 PWMSCC_10 (10 Amp) charge controller, Four golf cart batteries (wired series and parallel to 12v) 200AH and Roadpro RPPI-500W 500/1000 Watt Inverter.
  • DaveLionberger
    Sorry for the repeat message.