Building on Strip Power Control

Options
Someone had a good idea in a response a few weeks ago in using power strips having a power on-off switch to power the leeches (portable power battery chargers, etc).

I wonder if anyone ever tried using a little clock motor timer control (like the kind used for christmas tree lights, etc) to switch the power strips on and off on a routine basis so that the power used would be at peak PV hours, and minimized for time? I don't think that the clock motor draws much - maybe 10ma? I guess I could plug one in and measure ma with my multimeter....

On the other hand maybe there's another good reason not to do this?

Comments

• System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options
    Re: Building on Strip Power Control

Hummm, good idea, another way could be to arrange for a relay to be activated by sunlight. Perhaps a micro PV to pull in the relay?
    Wayne
  • Brock
    Brock Solar Expert Posts: 639 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Building on Strip Power Control

I have a bunch of my non essential loads in off peak outlets. I get a signal from the meter when ever it is off peak which closes a couple of other contactors, for our pool pumps, the house circulation fan, big battery chargers, chest freezer and such. So they only run off peak. The nice thing about using the signal from the meter is weekends and holidays are all automatic, and I can't be wrong from the meter, if it says it's off peak then those loads click on. I do have a bypass on most of them as well.

I have a couple of other timers where I couldn’t get that signal or wire pulled. The regular intermatic timers use about 2 watts so load them up. At one point I had a timer outside on the LED Christmas lights. I checked the load and the LED’s were pulling 5w and the timer was pulling 2w, so I just plug them in and leave them now ;) It is similar with some small loads like battery chargers or items that use wall warts, but if you put a whole plug strip in there it should save you energy.

I also started using those step foot switches for things, you typically see them by Christmas lights. The problem is they are only rated for a couple of amps. They are fine for smaller things, but TV’s might pop the smaller fuse, but they are really convenient to use in the kids room for their radio and such.
    3kw solar PV, 4 LiFePO4 100a, xw 6048, Honda eu2000i, iota DLS-54-13, Tesla 3, Leaf, Volt, 4 ton horizontal geothermal, grid tied - Green Bay, WI