Stand Alone, PV/Genny Hybrid Questions

Options
2»

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Stand Alone, PV/Genny Hybrid Questions

stranded wire isn't necessary unless you expect lots of movement in the wire. most will be inside conduit so i think you should just be more concerned with maybe insulation ratings for temp. (90 degrees c) and costs.

" It then says that specific PV wire is required, do I ask my supplier for that specifically?"

what pv wire is required? please elaborate.
  • Ecnerwal
    Ecnerwal Solar Expert Posts: 101 ✭✭
    Options

Dredging back to an ancient code corner from HP 107 - John Wiles stated that for exposed connections he used USE-2 with XLP or XLPE marking (insulation type) and RHW-2 so that it can be used in conduit inside buildings. I wonder if that actually got codified in 2008??

USE-2 is sunlight resistant and wet location 90C (underground service entrance)

RHW-2 is dry and wet 90C flame retardant
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

those would be good types to use and it may be required. i think crewzer had mentioned this some time back with the 90 degree c requirement.
  • IowaSolarGuy
    IowaSolarGuy Registered Users Posts: 10
    Options

Thanks gentlemen, I really appreciate it. I will let you know what we come up with for a solution. I am talking with the dealer who sold the panels right now to see what he thinks.

We may be able to switch out the batteries for ones that will be happy with 54 v charging in the summer.

I have played with the idea of a small wind turbine to add voltage in the summer but I do not think this will help, mainly due to the fact that they are all 48 v turbines and the power output is so intermittent.

James
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Options
    We may be able to switch out the batteries for ones that will be happy with 54 v charging in the summer. James

Your panels, two in series is 69.6V Vmp at Standard conditions. ( panel temp of 25C )

The derating for temperature is about 0.32 volts per C above standard for two in series, you need ~58 volts for bulk charging , that's ~12 volts Margin or 35C above standard, I doubt in Iowa, that will be an issue
  • arcandspark
    arcandspark Solar Expert Posts: 63 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

About building your own combiner panel, no problem. I do it all the time. You need a Hoffman box about 12"x10"x6"deep from Ebay, some 125volt DC breakers like Outback or simular, a din rail to mount the breakers and a terminal block that has two lugs on it that take say 2/0 cable on one side and has six connections on the otherside for #10 wire. Here is a web site that shows one I made. I need to install some white heat srink to make mine NEC legal so dont mind the black wire, it was made before the NEC color changes.

http://alternativeenergy.meetup.com/153/photos/126202/#3848127

I purchased the box off ebay for less than $40.00, the total cost for the combiner boax was under $100.00 without the Delta lightning protector mounted on the bottom of the box. arcandspark
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    Options

Check out www.midnitesolar.com they have a breaker box made for the xw has all the needed breakers and stuff makes installation a snap Robin will fix you right up. as for the panels The classic will fix that problem as well ask Robin about it. tell him i sent ya