Mixing wind/ Solar??

wAS WONDERING IF ONE OF YOU GUYS WOULD TAKE A LOOK AT THIS SET-UP I GETTING READY TO INSTALL ON MY CABIN.. i WANT TO ADD THIS 600 WATT WIND GENERATOR BUT THE RECEIVER PLUG IS A THREE PRONG PLUG AND THOUGHT I'D ASK HOW I SHOULD WIRE IT AND ALSO WHERE I SHOULD PLACE THE DIODE IN REFERANCE TO THE GENERATOR/ CONTROLLER AND ANY OTHER HELPFUL HINTS..
tHANKLS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP . i PICKED THIS UP AT AN ESTATE SALE FOR $100 ALONG WITH TWO OTHER 65 WATT PANELS.. THIS IS THE FIRST TIME OUT OF THE BOX..
HERES WHAT I GOT..http://photobucket.com/BELAIRHOTROD

Comments

• n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭
    Re: Mixing wind/ Solar??

Some things to point out.
    1-Go easy on the caps, it's hard to read and in internet language it is shouting.

2-Plugs on the solar panels, I would change them to something else ASAP. It is too easy for someone to try to plug them into an AC outlet.

3-The diode, place it on the red wire. Wire it to the motor/geny WITHOUT the blades. Hook up the battery. If it turns, reverse the diode. Now turn the motor/geny the rotation the blades will turn it. If it turns hard, then your are good to go. If is spins easy revers the red and black wires on the motor/geny.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

What N3 said--plus read up on Wind Turbines... Generally, they are wired (through a diode or rectifier--depending on if generator/alternator) directly to the batteries.

And a second solar charge controller would be setup to control a "dump load"--basically, the wind turbine is always connected and generating, and the controller, when the battery is "full", turns on an electric heating element/resistor to get rid of the excess wind turbine energy.

Normally, on a horizontal wind turbine, they will over-speed in high winds if there is no load on the alternator/generator (and there should be a break/furling mechanism to help prevent over-speed in heavy winds).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

i am planning to make a wind turbine myself...and would like to integrate it with a solar panel...i am on the initial stages, as soon as i am at a level, would definitely share it with you!
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Sorry about the caps my keyboard was busted got a new one. tonight i will get the diode installed and thanks for the help you guys have a great forum here hope i will be able to learn enough to share...

still a little hazy on the rectifier thing though I think what you are saying is i should have a different controller on the wind turbine? my manual on the controller says it has a dump load but i dont think it does i have no more wires comiing out of it.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Regarding the rectifier/diode.

I cannot tell from your pictures if the "generator" is true DC generator (brushes, commutator--like the generator on a 40+ year old car, or looks like the "universal" AC/DC motor in an electric hand drill), or if this is an Alternator (with or without internal slip rings) with its own rectifier.

A DC Generator needs a blocking diode (or an external regulator, like the old cars) that prevents the battery from pumping energy backwards into the generator (and actually running it like an electric motor) when there is insufficient wind.

If it is a Alternator and/or includes an internal electronic regulator, then a blocking diode is not needed--and may actually prevent the wind generator from "turning on" when there is wind.

I just don't know, you will have to look closer and/or if you have the manual for the wind "generator", follow its instructions. As always, make sure you use a fuse between the battery and the "generator" to prevent any dangerous short circuits.

It is possible that the other controller you have for the solar panels has a dump load option. However, with solar, the controller turns on and off the power from the panels to the batteries ("on", passes current to charge the battery. "off", stops current when battery is full... Can turn on and off hundreds or thousands of times a second--called PWM, Pulse Width Modulation).

With a wind turbine, they cannot be controlled this way... If they are disconnected from the battery, the wind turbine will have no load and over-speed (and self destruct).

Instead, the typical wind controller, sits on the battery and watches the voltage. When the battery is charged, the controller turns on and passes current to a resistor bank--simply wasting the excess wind turbine power as heat.

Normally, with a Solar + Wind system, you will have, at least, two controllers... One for solar and the other for wind.

-Bill

PS: I guess you could connect one controller as a Dump Load Controller, and connect both panels and generator directly to the batteries... But, a dump controller does not do a good of job keeping the battery properly charged. So, the suggestion for two controllers. And since solar power is generally more predictable (operates almost every day vs the wind turbine only one there is enough breeze), the solar panel + charger will help keep your batteries properly charged.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset