Grid tie meter question

Options
Im new to solar but i have purchased most of the parts i need for a small grid tie set up. Im very much an inpulse buyer because of my add lol, i buy an the do my research. So here is what i have please tell me what i have done wrong, and what i still need to do your not going to hurt my feelings.
1) fronius 2000 inverter
2) 11 85 watt solarex panels
3) 6 30 watt solarex panels
4)200 5 watt seimans panels
5) 5 misc panels from 45w to 100w
the reason i have so many differnt panels is i bought them as a package from an oil/gas company that was being sold off. I paid $1 a watt for everthing and its all brand new. I felt like i can resale if i have to and make money if i dont use.
My questions
1 i live in the country and would rather not involve to power company can i wire everthing in without there blessing? Do all meters work both directions?
2 is there a way to use all the panels i have cosmetics are not an issue, the panels will not be seen. Or should i sell some i have and buy others. I would like to use what i have if possible because i paid so little for them.
Im open to any ideas but please dont talk over my head. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: Grid tie meter question

DO NOT wire up a grid tie inverter without a local permit/inspection (as required) and registering/inspection by your power company.

Your's is not that large of system and will generate around $20-$30 or so worth of power per month.

The power company, if they find your illegal solar connection will probably disconnect your power...

If you know what you are doing (and/or use a licensed electrician) and follow the NEC/Building Code requirements for installation--the chances of burning your home down and/or killing a lineman with your system are remote to non-existent--but if there is ever a problem (such as an extension cord causing a small fire)--your insurance company may choose not to pay because of the illegal electrical work.

Regarding you meter and will it turn backwards--it depends... Older mechanical meters can turn backwards. Newer mechanical and electronic meters may or may not turn backwards--depends on your local power company's requirements when they purchased the meters.

Lastly, configuring your panels for your 2,000 watt inverter... You need to read the manual/go to the manufacturer's website and understand what the input power requirements are for the Fronius Grid Tied Inverter.

Basically, you need put your panels in series and parallel such that the overall voltage of the solar panel strings meet the inverter's input requirements.

Because you have a mix of panels, you may have an issue trying to get a string of mixed wattage panels to add up to a useful array... Also, your inverter can take a total of ~2,000+ watts worth of solar panels--you only have 900 watts of the large "85 watt" panels--so you may want to purchase more of the same/similar "85 watt" panels to make up a 2,000 kW array--or sell all of your current panels and purchase a full set of panels for your array (typically larger than 100 watt panels to reduce electrical connections and easier install of fewer, larger, panels than a whole bunch of small panels).

Lastly, you will need to check that the panels meet the NEC requirements for running at 600 volts max (required for Grid Tied inverter operation when you put a bunch of panels in series to drive the inverter). Smaller panels may not have been tested/listed to these requirements.

-Bill

PS. Depending on who your local utility is--they may not allow Grid Tied Solar inverters at all (many smaller co-ops seem to have this rule). By working with your utility, you may be able to convince them that they will receive lots of "green press" and that the UL Listed GT Inverters are prefectly safe for there linemen/network. However, their billing/rate structure they offer may not be very advantageous to you (if you meter spins backwards, they may pay you only their wholesale power rate--a few cents per kWhr vs a full credit of retail power cost you pay of $0.10 to $0.20+ per kWhr.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Can you say, Ready, Fire, Aim?

Seriously, I would heed all that Bill suggests. I might consider using the Fronius inverter as the heart of my system, and then trade out most if not all of the panels for a SET of matching panels to build a system. The odd ball make up of what you have is going to make for a nightmare of wiring, and when you involve permitting and the Utility it will only make it harder.

The smaller panels get a pretty good price on E-bay. The five watters are really too small to be wired into a grid system, as the number of connections would be huge relative to the size of the array.

Icarus

PS If you are interested in getting rid of any of the solarex panels let PM me. What are the other misc panels?
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

you have many differing pvs that must be matched up somewhat in order to work properly with any inverter be it grid tied or not. you do need the inspections because you aren't sure of even how to fully go about this let alone be assured of safety. it's not worth possibly violating the law or your safety, but with proper guidence and cooperation with either your inspector and/or utility and in some cases an electrician.