SunSaver MPPT daily stats resetting to 0

wxh3
wxh3 Solar Expert Posts: 70 ✭✭✭✭
Now that winter is approaching I am beginning to be more concerned about my daily charging stats due to lower sun, more cloudy days, and shading. Also, I return home from work now often after dark...thus it is night when I get a chance to hook up my laptop and use MSVIEW to read the controller stats.

Could someone please explain to me good reason(s) why the engineers at Morningstar would decide that their daily stats should reset to 0 when their controller goes into "night" state instead of when they next day starts? Thus I am unable to see the daily stats. (I know some of the stats can be gotten by comparing to the permanent stats from the day before if I happened to get them that day too.)

Thanks for any thoughts!

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: SunSaver MPPT daily stats resetting to 0

i see your dilema and i agree with you that this doesn't make much sense to do it the way they are doing it. i think this is something you should approach morningstar with to see if they could advise you how to do it the way it would benefit you and many others too. if not maybe they'll take it under advisement and change the software down the road.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Just off the cuff, not knowing how it works,,, but can you just trick the clock? Set either the PC or the CC clock reverse?

Tony
  • wxh3
    icarus wrote: »
    Just off the cuff, not knowing how it works,,, but can you just trick the clock? Set either the PC or the CC clock reverse?

Tony

Unfortunately I think the reset is simply based on when it sees the solar panel output go completely to zero. I don't think it is based on any type of clock/timer.

Maybe it is something they could change if/when they release a firmware update. So far they haven't made one available. I'll make a suggestion to customer support.
  • wxh3

Got answer on this from Morningstar. They do reset the stats shortly after transition to night. However the reason it is "ok" to do this is because they save the values elsewhere. Thirty days of daily stats are stored.

Unfortunately, the ability to view the daily stats history is currently not available via MSVIEW. It is available only via their new meter. The ability to view these via MSVIEW will coming in the future. It will also be added to the modbus interface specification for 3rd party applications.