Solar panel for a single bulb in a shed

Geek
Geek Solar Expert Posts: 32
Had a 12x12 shed installed last month, 35~40 feet away from house, so don't want to trench a hole to bring power to it from the house.

I don't usually work or do much in the shed at night, really; but was thinking about a solar panel and a battery for those occasions when I need to go in there to find something (something simple, not costly, not fancy and easy to install). A single light should be enough, I use the low voltage 18w bulbs.

Is it worthy to spend the money, what would be the most cost-effective and simplest solution?

I've seen small solar fans for attics without need for separate battery, is there a similar alternative for a light bulb ?

Comments

• SolarJohn
    SolarJohn Solar Expert Posts: 202 ✭✭
    Re: Solar panel for a single bulb in a shed

Cost-effective solutions:

1. An extension cord from the house.
    2. Take apart a solar landscape light. Put the solar panel part on the roof, and the light inside the shed.
    3. Hang a camping lantern on a hook inside the shed.

I have a similar shed, and I opted for an extension cord. Since I don't like shadows, I mounted two lights, separated from each other by about 5 feet. I like convenience, so I installed a switch and a wall outlet. I wouldn't go to the trouble of installing a solar panel, charge controller, and battery just to have one or two lights.

John
  • rickeolis
    rickeolis Solar Expert Posts: 110 ✭✭✭✭

Yeah, buy a 45 watt solar panel kit from Harbor Freight. It includes everything you need (except a car battery) including a couple very bright 12 volt lights that plug into the charge controller included that will solve your problem!

-Rick-
  • Brock
    Brock Solar Expert Posts: 639 ✭✭✭✭

Probably the cheapest thing to do would be to buy a battery powered motion sensing "closet" light. I would also look at solar flood light setup, basically a small battery and solar panel and either an LED or compact fluorescent light.
    3kw solar PV, 4 LiFePO4 100a, xw 6048, Honda eu2000i, iota DLS-54-13, Tesla 3, Leaf, Volt, 4 ton horizontal geothermal, grid tied - Green Bay, WI
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Ditto on the solar motion detector light... Mount the panel outside and the light inside. They will probably only last a few years before you need to replace the battery and/or rebuild some of the connection inside.

If possible, I would bury a cable to your shed... Then you will have AC power plus lighting. Plus the AC power can be used for your tools and such too.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

There are a number of commercially available "solar shed lights" that come complete with the solar panel, a small sealed battery, and the light. Pretty slick for a simple garage or shed that is away from other buildings,

Tony