MX 60 and AUX Float function

westbranch
westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
Just installed a new CC, an MX 60, and wish to set the FLOAT function so that when the battery is charged, the AUX will turn on and allow a 'car type charger' to be powered (12v) and in turn charge a PDA. Not too worried about daily charging if there is no sunlight as the PDA can go more than a few days on its own.

Anyone know how to 'set' the FLOAT function to be active? I think I understand how to turn the AUX on, but not just FLOAT. Seems like turning on AUX will also turn on all the subfunctions.:confused:

Thanks
Eric
ps have posted Q on the outback forum but no answer to this Q specifically

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
West Chilcotin, BC, Canada

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: MX 60 and AUX Float function

West ...

Look in the Manual. It is under Aux mode control ... Do not have the manual here in town. It is easy to set, and this function is very useful for many things.

You should realize that the current is limited to approx 200 Ma (0.200 Amps).

Did post in the OB Forum as well, but did not post the exact step-by-step stuff ... it IS in the manual. The manual is avail on the OB site if you do not have in front of you. Simple and painless function..

Goo Luck, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Vic

OK, I broke down and dredged up an older manual for the MX. Your MX's operation is prob very simalar as described in my manual ... YMMV ... posted this on another Froum as will. Vic ...

OK, west .. Eric,

In an OLDer MX manual it sez:, under "AUX OUTPUT CONTROL", under "Float or Output Current" Essentially, if you set both Min and Max Amps to 00, then the Aux terminals will go active when the MX is in Float. Use a DVM to see which terminal is positive, and negetive.

You may need to go to a RadioShack or similar store to get a Cig Lighter socket etc and wire the socket with the + 12 VDC going to the center contact, and the neg to the outside ring.

And presuming that the Charger is a Switch Mode charger, the current-limited output of the MX might just have enough oomph to drive the charger, altho, it might be close, as there might be some higher start-up current of the charger which might not be available from the MX's Aux output. and so on. I do not know the nature of the current-limiting. It might be a PTC Thermistor, which has some thermal inertia, which might allow any starting current for the Charger to be supplied. A definite YMMV disclaimer applies ... As you know, there are small panels which could probably help supply current to the charger, BUT any such solar panel might need a SLA battery to keep the charger happy ... and so on.

TG's recommended fuse is a safe idea, altho, the Aux Output IS I-limited, on good advise from OB.

Have Fun, GOOD LUCK ! Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

Or, if you want to force the MX60 to go TO FLOAT, go to the "MISC" menu and hit "NEXT"... You should then have the option to force BULK or force FLOAT to test your Aux setup.

boB
  • westbranch

thanks Guys, all helpful comments.

One big issue is the learning curve for the MX, it can do so much, especially with a little ingenuity... the previous CC was verrrry basic
    To answer a couple of points,
    1 Yes the charger comes with an ATC fuse holder built in, plus a 1 amp fuse.
    2 Yes I will try forcing the FLOAT to test the setup, wouldn't have thought of that one...
    3 Been reading the manual and what confuses me is, for example, when you setup the Absorb and float values you get to the screen and then you have 'options' to choose from, but for the AUX FLOAT state you don't seem to be able to choose that one over the others ie how do you choose FLOAT over Vent Fan? both turn on a current but one is constant the other intermittent.
    My experience may be different once I am sitting in front of the MX, which is installed at the cabin.
    4 Date of manual (Rev 7.0) is Jan 29 2007 Software V 5.11
    5 PTC Thermistor?
    6 will try powering the charger direct, if no go then will look for a 'relay type switch' triggered by the MX FLOAT current.

Cheers
    Eric

CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
  • Vic

Hi Westbranch,

OK, great, you appear to have the latest FW -- 5.11

Try the "Float or Output Current" function. It is the most really the closest match for your needs -- providing charge from only XS PV power. Would recommend setting Min and Max current both to 00. This allows the Aux output to become active ONLY in Float mode. Later you can play with the currents, and other Aux funcitons. To me, you first need to determine if the Aux Output has succicient current available to allow the 12 Volt charger to work. Later you can experiment with other funcitons and settings.

You appear to have a 12 V battery system, so as you noted, you could use a relay on the Aux Output to control 12 VDC from the battery to the charger.

RE PTC -- Positive Temeprature Cofficient thermistor, A thermistor is a variable resistance element, the resistance of which varies with the temperature to which it is exposed. In the case of the PTC ones, the resistance of it Increases with an Increase in temperature. Often the PTC thermistors are used as direct control elements in a circuit where current limiting/control is desired. As the current through the thermistor increases, the heat developed in the thermisor increases. This increase in temp causes the Resistance of the themistor increases. This increase in R causes the current flow to decrease, and visa versa. Neat lil two lead and inexpensive device. Some of the have a "snap action" -- basically a very non-linear response to changes to temp.

The MX-60 is a teriffic box. boB, Robin, and the rest of the (then current) OB team sure did a fine job designing and implementing this CC. And OB has outstanding customer support/service. The Midnite Classic CC promises to carry on this tradition, with even more functionality. Done !. All the Best, Have Fun .. Vic . .
  • westbranch

Hi Vic , had a 'hands on session' with the MX this weekend and was able to see how to get the 'FLOAT ' option set, also somehow turned it off ??? but not a worry at this point. so much easier when you can play with it rather than jsut read about it...

Next is to get some hardware together and see if the MX can power the charger.
    Right now I am able to use a 110 charger and the 600w TSW inverter. I know a bit of a waste but it is essentially in standby/idle mode with that tiny load, just the hassle of turning it on and off when float is reached...

thanks again.
    Eric