Any issues with adding fuses to my DC Negative inside the combiner box?

Options
HX_Guy
HX_Guy Solar Expert Posts: 296 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
It was discovered that since my inverter is transformerless, both the DC+ and the DC- need to have fuses. The combiner box I purchased only has the DC+ fused, but the DC- is going straight to the PV- bus bar.

The simplest solution I can see if adding fuse holders on the DC- wires. There are 4 fuse holders already in the box and I only need 3 of them on the DC+ side, so I would need to add 2 more, which I believe there is space for on the DIN rail.

Are there any potential issues you guys see which this plan?

128.jpg

183.jpg

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Any issues with adding fuses to my DC Negative inside the combiner box?

Where di you find that little bit of info (fused Neg.)?

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • HX_Guy
    Options
    westbranch wrote: »
    Where di you find that little bit of info (fused Neg.)?

It was pointed out to me on another solar forum. The information is actually in the SolarEdge inverter installation manual and also on my permit.

From SolarEdge:
    Note: In rare cases where three or more strings of power optimizers are wired in parallel, fusing will be required to protect the wiring between the power optimizers and the inverter. Because the circuit conductors are not grounded, fuses would be required in both the negative and positive conductors. The recommend fuse size of 20 Amps is calculated using the 15 Amp continuous output current limit of the power optimizer multiplied by 1.25 in accordance with NEC Articles 210.19 and 240.4.

From my building permit:

184.jpg

Additionally, this article here talks about the NEC code requirements: http://ecmweb.com/nec/wiring-methods-pv-systems-and-nec
    In a transformerless inverter, neither the positive nor negative conductor has a bond to ground. The result is that you no longer have a grounded current-carrying conductor. This requires both conductors in each circuit to be protected with OCPDs and have disconnecting means as required in Art. 690, Part III.
  • westbranch
    Options

Oh, right! Solar Edge with each panel having its own (optimizing?) inverter... forgot you had those :blush:

CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
  • HX_Guy
    Options
    Oh, right! Solar Edge with each panel having its own (optimizing?) inverter... forgot you had those :blush:

It's not just for SolarEdge, the SMA Sunny Boy TL inverters and some ABB (Power One) are also transformerless and would require the same thing.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Interesting. Learn something new every day.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Ethan Brush
    Ethan Brush Solar Expert Posts: 235 ✭✭
    Options

How code compliant does this have to be? You have an issue using white conductors as ungrounded conductors and they cant be re identified unless in a cable assembly. Regarding the original question, note the 2008 NEC didnt specifically say that a fuse was needed in each ungrounded conductor in an ungrounded system, in case you are still on '08
  • HX_Guy
    Options
    How code compliant does this have to be? You have an issue using white conductors as ungrounded conductors and they cant be re identified unless in a cable assembly. Regarding the original question, note the 2008 NEC didnt specifically say that a fuse was needed in each ungrounded conductor in an ungrounded system, in case you are still on '08

Havn't had the inspection yet and honestly I don't know how it's going to go. My installer for some reason thinks my inverter is "grounded"...when I told him yesterday via text that the white wire needs to be changed to black, he said to not touch anything as the the system is grounded and white is the correct color. I'm wondering if the inspection will even know which way it's supposed to be (traditionally it seems the transformer based, grounded inverters were the norm and that is what they are used to to seeing, including the white wire).

As for changing the white wire to black, I was thinking something like this...what do you think? It's black heat shrink wrap that would mask the white cable completely inside the disconnect.

190.jpg
  • Ethan Brush
    Options
    HX_Guy wrote: »
    Havn't had the inspection yet and honestly I don't know how it's going to go. My installer for some reason thinks my inverter is "grounded"...when I told him yesterday via text that the white wire needs to be changed to black, he said to not touch anything as the the system is grounded and white is the correct color. I'm wondering if the inspection will even know which way it's supposed to be (traditionally it seems the transformer based, grounded inverters were the norm and that is what they are used to to seeing, including the white wire).

As for changing the white wire to black, I was thinking something like this...what do you think? It's black heat shrink wrap that would mask the white cable completely inside the disconnect.

190.jpg

Your installer doesnt seem up to speed on his PV or electrical theory. If you have a transformerless inverter, the array must be ungrounded because there is no isolation between the dc side and the AC side (which is almost always a grounded system). Thus if you ground one of the array conductors, you have a direct short between an AC "hot" conductor and the grounded PV conductor. I would have to check the wording in article 200, but Im pretty sure the coloring coding would need to be a "continuous outer finish" and you cant just re identify at accessible points.
  • HX_Guy
    Options
    Your installer doesnt seem up to speed on his PV or electrical theory. If you have a transformerless inverter, the array must be ungrounded because there is no isolation between the dc side and the AC side (which is almost always a grounded system). Thus if you ground one of the array conductors, you have a direct short between an AC "hot" conductor and the grounded PV conductor. I would have to check the wording in article 200, but Im pretty sure the coloring coding would need to be a "continuous outer finish" and you cant just re identify at accessible points.

This is the installer's first use of a SolarEdge system and probably his first use of a transformerless inverter, he normally uses Fronius inverters which are traditional, transformer based, grounded systems.

That would really suck for him if the inspector says the whole cable needs to be replaced, it's a 50' run through flexible metal conduit...through the wall and through the attic.
    My plan was to heat shrink wrap it before the inspector came out...that shrink wrap goes from 10mm to 5mm and the 6AWG cable is 6mm, so it would be a very tight fit, may not even be able to tell that it's not the original finish.
  • HX_Guy
    Options

By the way, I don't think it's going to be an issue with the white cable in the combiner box, since it's on the roof, and the inspector here doesn't go on the roof..all inspections are done from ground level.

The problem though is going to be inside the disconnect box at the inverter, if they open that up.

176.jpg
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi HX,

You sure have been through a lot on this project.

I am not a real Code Jock ... so guess that the Combiner shown in the OP is a six position box? Even if it is, a real Bus Bar may be required for mechanical support of the breakers. And having a Positive bus and a Negative bus closely spaced may well not pass ... ALL of this is up to the Inspector, as you know.

There might be an issue with the entry of the ground cables that enter the Combiner, as that bushing does not look rain-tite to me ... not even sure about the bare stranded ground cable ...

Sometimes the Listing of these boxes are very specific as to configuration ... But again it is all up to the inspector.
    EDIT: Just was your last post ... well then all of this may well be moot, although some adherence to NEC will be in your favor ...
    Good Luck, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • HX_Guy
    Options

Thanks Vic, it sure has been pretty challenging...learned a lot though! :)

The inspector here doesn't go up on the roof, so I'm not worried about the combiner box not passing inspection.

The DIN rail will fit 6 fuse holders, I went up on the roof and checked, so they would have mechanical support. I was also told that it wouldn't be a problem with having the negative and positive bus bars that close to each other and it's pretty common to do that actually, but I still think I would feel better with having wires from down from each negative fuse holder to the negative bus bar already installed there.

For the bushing, are you talking about on the left side of the box where the black PV wire and the bare ground cable enter into the box (the gray bushing)? You're right, it's not very water tight at all, the cables move in and out pretty easily. Not sure what the best solution would be, maybe some silicon sealant on the outside to seal it up? Would that work?
  • gww1
    gww1 Solar Expert Posts: 963 ✭✭
    Options

I would never aurgue with people that on this subject I know are much smarter then me so take what I say as from the uninformed. I ran all white wire and color coded the ends where they connect. I have and never will be inspected but believe that I did it based on reading that it would be ok. I can't remember if it was in the outback insalation manual or if it was when I was looking at nec codes. I may have it wrong but something makes me believe it was ok. I don't feel like searching everything I looked at before to find what made me believe this and it is not impossible that I dreamed it. It would suck to be inspected and find this is a problim.
    Good luck
    gww
  • HX_Guy
    Options

This is so ridiculous...should I really be fighting my installer to follow code? The inspection has been scheduled for tomorrow and I just sent him a text...

"Are you sure you don’t want to change the white wire to black? it’s definitely supposed to be any other color but white since it’s considered a “hot” wire, the DC Negative is not grounded because this is a transformerless inverter"

No reply back yet.

I actually just looked at the 3-line diagram on the permit and even that says, can't believe I missed it until now.

DC:
    POSITIVE = RED
    NEGATIVE = BLACK
    GROUND = GREEN
  • Ethan Brush
    Options

Let us know how the inspection goes.........
  • HX_Guy
    Options
    Let us know how the inspection goes.........

Will do. It was supposed to be today but got rescheduled for tomorrow.
  • HX_Guy
    Options

Made the change to the combiner box, worked out nicely and looks quite professional.

New parts...
    240.jpg

Cut off the last leg as only 3 fuses are needed.
    233.jpg

Old combiner box setup with unfiused DC-
    234.jpg

Took out the old fuses off the DIN rail
    235.jpg

Put in new 20A fuses
    236.jpg
  • westbranch
    Options

so what happened to wire #4 in the old setup?

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

One caution... These touch safe fuse holders (at least some of them, don't know this one specifically) should not be popped open when under load (do not use them for a disconnect when under load/power).

They can sustain an arc.

http://solectria.com//site/assets/files/1481/solectria_fuse_servicing_for_disconnects_for_dc_combiners_white_paper.pdf
    If a fuse is in need of replacement while the PV array is still connected to the combiner, that fuse will remain live and presents an electrical shock risk and arc flash hazard. It is imperative that the fuse be completely de-energized from all sources before attempting to replace the fuse.
    For string combiner boxes, satisfying the new requirement NEC 690.16(B) is simple. The “touch safe” fuse holders enable the safe removal of the fuse from all energy sources. However, these fuse holders are not load break rated and are explicitly labeled “Do not open under load.” Opening a fuse holder under load presents a dangerous arc flash hazard. Solectria Renewables’ DISCOM disconnecting string combiner has an integrated DC disconnect. To service the fuse simply turn off the DC disconnect on the front of the string combiner and, after the absence of current is verified with a DC clamp meter, open the fuse holder and remove the fuse. The combination of a DC disconnect and “touch safe” fuse holders in DISCOM disconnecting string combiners provide a convenient method for quickly maintaining the fuses within the combiner box and meeting NEC 690.16(B).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • HX_Guy
    Options
    so what happened to wire #4 in the old setup?

Oops, forgot to post the rest of the pictures. :)

Ready to re-install in combiner box
    237.jpg

And finished product
    238.jpg

Before and after
    241.jpg
  • HX_Guy
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    One caution... These touch safe fuse holders (at least some of them, don't know this one specifically) should not be popped open when under load (do not use them for a disconnect when under load/power).

They can sustain an arc.

http://solectria.com//site/assets/files/1481/solectria_fuse_servicing_for_disconnects_for_dc_combiners_white_paper.pdf

-Bill

Yeah I've read about not doing that. Luckily with this SolarEdge system, when you shut off the inverter or switch off the DC disconnect at the inverter, the power from the panels drops down to 1V x panels per string. So the 16 panel string is 16V, the 11 panel string is 11V etc. I was able to comfortably work up there with the wires while the sun was hitting them. (I did verify with the voltmeter that it was in fact low voltage, didn't just assume that if the inverter was off it was safe).
  • westbranch
    Options

Darn, just in the last 2 days I saw the remnants of a fuse open under load, all that is left is the blackened plastic... BAD! It was inside a MN box of some sort. just cant locate it...

OK I see red wire #4 is your #1 on the left side of the box and it is taped off in the lower left corner ???

• HX_Guy
    Options

Yeah, it's just taped off to look cleaner, but the #1 is now not connected to anything (it's corresponding white negative wire was too short to reach the fuses so I didn't use the #1 connectors, only #2, #3, and #4. #2 negative is also too short but the negative for that one is the wire coming through the conduit.