After all the talk about the Morningstar SureSine 300...

Options
ILFE
ILFE Solar Expert Posts: 364 ✭✭
I figured I would grab a couple of them while here in the US, to take back to Cambodia with me, in March. I waited a bit late to order them, though, as the shipping cost went up a bit since I last checked pricing with the company. Anyway, I found two (2) Morningstar SureSine 300s, wired for 220v / 50hz, to power appliances in Cambodia (and elsewhere in SE Asia). I look forward to getting many years use out of these babies, as soon as I can get them in service.

I appreciate all of the input and advice I have read over the years here, concerning these inverters. In a couple of months, I will get to see if one of them will power an inverter refrigerator for me.
Paul

Comments

• Ethan Brush
    Ethan Brush Solar Expert Posts: 235 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: After all the talk about the Morningstar SureSine 300...
    ILFE wrote: »
    I figured I would grab a couple of them while here in the US, to take back to Cambodia with me, in March. I waited a bit late to order them, though, as the shipping cost went up a bit since I last checked pricing with the company. Anyway, I found two (2) Morningstar SureSine 300s, wired for 220v / 50hz, to power appliances in Cambodia (and elsewhere in SE Asia). I look forward to getting many years use out of these babies, as soon as I can get them in service.

I appreciate all of the input and advice I have read over the years here, concerning these inverters. In a couple of months, I will get to see if one of them will power an inverter refrigerator for me.

Yes those are such great little inverters. Nothing else on the market comes close to their low standby losses. I really really really wish they made a 24V version though. OR here is a great idea for morningstar (and I expect some royalties if they implement my idea ;) ) IF two inverts could communicate with each other to share power equally, then you could take two and connect them in series and have 600W, and run them on a 24V system
  • ILFE
    Options
    IF two inverts could communicate with each other to share power equally, then you could take two and connect them in series and have 600W, and run them on a 24V system

I was thinking the same thing, when I purchased the two being shipped to me. (Naturally, I wouldn't want to interfere with your due royalties, though. I would just be happy being able to wire them in series.) :)
    Paul
  • ILFE
    Options

UPDATE: While I was looking for wire / cable pricing online, I happened upon another site offering the same inverters even cheaper. (Probably one of those too good to be true deals, now that I look back.) I rang EcoDirect back and asked if they could match the price. They offered a reasonable discount, but not nearly as low as the competitor. I asked sales if they would delay the shipping for me to check on this and I would ring them back.

I called the competitor - and got nothing but directed to voice mail. That, to me, is not a good sign. You have to be able to contact sales / customer service by phone and get a live person on the other end, without having to leave a message for them during regular business hours. So, I made a decision not to deal with the competing company, even though it would have saved me almost another $44 USD, off EcoDirect's lowest price - with shipping.

I rang EcoDirect back and asked them to ship the units, if they would still give me the discounted rate. They agreed. I ended up getting the two units shipped for a total of $395.60 USD. (The original total was $438.04, with shipping.)
    Paul