VFX3524 output

Options
elesaver
elesaver Solar Expert Posts: 185 ✭✭
I've just hooked up an Outback VFX 3524 to an electrical panel. For testing purposes, I only put one circuit breaker into the panel. The voltage reading is fluctuating between 128-130 VAC. What would cause this to be above 120 VAC?
1st system:  24Vsystem with 8 X 300W panels, Midnite Solar combiner box, Midnite Solar mini-dc disconnect, Midnite Solar Classic 150, Outback VFX 3524 with mate, 2 X 12V  fforklift batteries in series 938 aH,  (Outback PSX transformer, Honda EU3000is...not currently hooked up but available if/when needed)

2nd system:  24V system with 4 X 310W panels, Midnite Solar combiner box, Midnite Solar mini-dc disconnect, Midnite Solar Classic 200, Cotek 1500W pure sine inverter, Trojan 125 batteries (8 available but "currently" using 4)

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: VFX3524 output

Assuming it is inverting and not passing generator power instead:

1). The meter making the reading is inaccurate. If this is the MATE display it is usually close enough.
    2). The inverter is programmed for too high an output Voltage. Yes, it can be adjusted. The details of how are somewhere in that encylopaedia Outback calls an operator's manual. :p
  • elesaver
    Options

OK. I'll try to check the "manual" to see how to adjust the output. I do not have a mate. I think the meter is correct since it has provided good monitoring to date. Thanks for the help!
    1st system:  24Vsystem with 8 X 300W panels, Midnite Solar combiner box, Midnite Solar mini-dc disconnect, Midnite Solar Classic 150, Outback VFX 3524 with mate, 2 X 12V  fforklift batteries in series 938 aH,  (Outback PSX transformer, Honda EU3000is...not currently hooked up but available if/when needed)

2nd system:  24V system with 4 X 310W panels, Midnite Solar combiner box, Midnite Solar mini-dc disconnect, Midnite Solar Classic 200, Cotek 1500W pure sine inverter, Trojan 125 batteries (8 available but "currently" using 4)

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    elesaver wrote: »
    OK. I'll try to check the "manual" to see how to adjust the output. I do not have a mate. I think the meter is correct since it has provided good monitoring to date. Thanks for the help!

You need a MATE. You can't adjust anything on a VFX without one. Do not get the version III which was designed for the Radian. It will work for the VFX series but it costs more and isn't any better than a I or II.

The MATE will allow you to program AC IN, charge current, LVD (I recommend raising that to system nominal), and a whole host of other parameters the default values of which are rarely what you want.
  • elesaver
    Options

I wondered if I would need one of those...always somethin'. :-) I've checked the outlets using the kill-a-watt meter and they are showing between 121 and 122. I didn't want to ruin my TV, etc. Meanwhile, I'll begin the hunt for a Mate I or II.

Thanks again.