Is this good for anything?

Options
rgk1
rgk1 Solar Expert Posts: 135 ✭✭✭
I took this out of my old treadmill before throwing it away. I junked the treadmill because after a few minutes it would quit running at higher speeds and would drop down to about a half mile per hour speed. Some said may be a sensor bad, others a bad motor. Had it in storage about 2 years and decided to just get rid of it but kept the motor.

Just wondering if it useful for any sort of power production, or should I just scrap it? Turning it by hand I could get it to put out about 10+ VDC and would spin freely. When connected to a multimeter to measure amps I got 3+ amps on the meter spinning again just by hand. It was MUCH harder to spin it while measuring amps.

Attachment not found.Attachment not found.Attachment not found.
4-Risen 320 watt in series/parallel, 8-215ah 6 volt GC2 batteries in series, Exeltech 1100 watt/48 volt inverter, Tristar 45 MPPT controller.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,448 admin
    Options
    Re: Is this good for anything?

Selling a couple in E-Bay for $50-90 (free shipping).

Otherwise, if you want to play with the electronics and make a servo drive project.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • RandomJoe
    RandomJoe Solar Expert Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    Options

A number of people on the Otherpower forum have used treadmill motors for small wind or water wheel turbines. Unless the operating voltage happens to match what your system needs it can be difficult making use of the power it would generate, but perhaps a fun tinkering project.

http://www.fieldlines.com
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Let's see: take a small motor that's meant to spend its entire life inside and convert it to a generator that will spend its much-shortened life outside ...

Or you can waste your time watching paint dry. :roll:
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Be very careful trying to use this motor as a generator - - - if you discover how to cause it to generate even a small amount of power for a short time - - it could trigger strange feelings of excited desire, a desire that unless tightly controlled, could cause you to move forward with real generators designed for the real thing. This strange addiction can get expensive, and in time produce useful energy. And THAT will almost certainly reinforce the initial addiction, driving you ever deeper into a strange and expensive habit that could cause you to do irrational things such as consider adding solar and going off grid. I know a couple of folks who went down that road and now, instead of enjoying beautiful candles and refreshingly chilly temperatures when the grid takes a day or two off, they're stuck with electric lights, often unaware their neighbours are enjoying the beauty of a cold dinner with glowing candles! So be careful. Be VERY careful!
  • rgk1
    rgk1 Solar Expert Posts: 135 ✭✭✭
    Options

;) Thanks for the reality check Wayne (Hmm, or was that encouragement?). I don't know what I was thinking when I kept that thing.....well yes I do, but.....I better get it out of the house quick!
    4-Risen 320 watt in series/parallel, 8-215ah 6 volt GC2 batteries in series, Exeltech 1100 watt/48 volt inverter, Tristar 45 MPPT controller.