VFX3648 Stops charging at 50V

Options
2twisty
2twisty Solar Expert Posts: 199 ✭✭✭
When I run my generator to charge the batteries due to cloudy days, etc, I can hear the load come on the generator and I can see that the MATE is charging on the display.

When the batteries get to about 50V, I hear the load come off the genny and the MATE reports that it's not charging anymore (0.000kW)

It doesn't seem to want to charge the batteries all the way up. If I start an EQ cycle, the load comes back on and it starts to raise the voltage to get to EQ. But I can't seem to get the charger to "go for float."

The only settings I've changed from factory defaults are the maximum amps for charging or the total max amps so that I don't pop the breakers on the genny. I've tweaked some AGS settings, but it's never activated. I see that the float setpoint is set to 54.4V, but when on the generator, it never seems to go much past 50-50.5V.

What am I doing wrong?

***EDIT***

I may have jumped the gun here. I may not have the settings right, but I suspect it's something to do with absorb time. It will charge up past 50V...but after the generator stops, the voltage drops pretty fast with minimal loads. If I turn the generator back on after a few minutes, it starts charging again. So, I upped the absorb time and float time settings from 1hr to 2 to see if that has an effect.

Comments

• Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: VFX3648 Stops charging at 50V

Re-read the manual, there was probably a issue with the way the absorb time is tracked by the absorb timer accumulation from the last cycle that did not complete. You can always start a new cycle from the ACin key where you started the EQ and do a new Bulk cycle.