Is an Outback Hub needed for FM-80/Mate/FNDC pairing?

Options
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if a Hub is needed to connect a FlexNet DC (FNDC) to an Outback FM-80, RTS and Mate.

The only "output" on the FNDC is written "Hub" on it, but It isn't written clearly in the manual if a hub is needed to connect an FNDC.

I (finally!!) connected my system this week-end and everything is working, BUT no lights on FNDC and all shunt and battery wires are connected as specified in the manual....Do I need a Hub? Would this be the reason no lights come on on the FNDC, as it has no means to communicate with the other components?

Please note that this is an OFF-GRID system, so the only components concerned are the FM-80, Mate, FNDC and the RTS.

If a hub is indeed needed, could someone please explain in which ports to connect each component please? I find that Outback's instructions often aren't very clear...From what I understand, the FM-80 and FNDC connect in anyone of the ports (except the ones named "Mate" and the Mate (obviously) goes in the port of the same name. The RTS would stay plugged into the FM-80. Does this seem right?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• pechan
    pechan Solar Expert Posts: 92 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Is an Outback Hub needed for FM-80/Mate/FNDC pairing?

Yes you need a hub!
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options

If a hub is indeed needed, could someone please explain in which ports to connect each component please? I find that Outback's instructions often aren't very clear...From what I understand, the FM-80 and FNDC connect in anyone of the ports (except the ones named "Mate" and the Mate (obviously) goes in the port of the same name. The RTS would stay plugged into the FM-80. Does this seem right?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Sounds like you have it. If you don't have a " FX " , then port one is ok to use for the FM-80 and the FNdc in any other. The RTS is plugged into the FM-80. The hub ports are for cat5 cables.

" Multiple OutBack Charge Controllers Only
    • Plug one Charge Controller into Port 1 and the others into any remaining ports.
    • A FLEXnet DC can be plugged into a remaining port as well. "

The FNdc is not a powered device itself, it's a reporting device. So the lights will not work without a powered device, like the FM-80 connected. Same is true with the Mate.
  • Mr.Cockburn
    Mr.Cockburn Solar Expert Posts: 34
    Options

Ok thanks guys,

I guess I'll take out the credit card and order the Hub-4....It's just a bummer that Outback did not add an additional port ON THE FM-80 instead of having to spend another 160$ on a gizmo to connect everything together, specially on a relatively "simple" system such as mine (only 1 CC, and no inverter).

I guess that maybe the FNDC was created later on and they never updated the FM-80 with an extra jack.
  • zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

You can only avoid a hub if you only have two total devices. You have three, mate + FM80 + FNDC. And maybe an inverter too?
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• Dan_
    Dan_ Solar Expert Posts: 61 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I specifically avoided the fndc because of its cost and need for a hub. I feel like outback nickels and dimes you in the peripherals
  • zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Add up the cost of all those extras and its a heck of a lot more than 45 bucks for a whizbang junior
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

FWIW the 'center' of an Outback communication system is the MATE, not the FM charge controller. All devices are designed to interface with the MATE through the HUB.

The charge controllers have their own programming interface because they were designed to operate as stand-alone units that could be utilized on any system, including those with non Outback inverters or no inverters at all.

Also it is not necessary to have all the devices communicate, no matter how many you have, it just makes things easier when they can share important data and all can be viewed from the one panel. The MATE is essential to programming inverters and the FNDC, but you only need one MATE even if you have four inverters.

It's all in the manuals which are available on-line before you buy anything.