Don't ignore the little things

Cariboocoot
Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
In case people haven't got the message ...
I just measured someone's "entertainment center" TV, PVR, disc player, and VCR all on one power strip.
With everything "turned off" it was pulling 47 Watts.

47 Watts * 24 hours = 1128 Watt hours: as much as a full-size refrigerator.

The difference is that the refrigerator would be keeping your food cold while the "off" entertainment center is doing nothing.

Comments

• techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    Re: Don't ignore the little things

I guarantee 30-35 of those watts is just from the DVR, based on my past measurements. There are things that could be done in hardware and software to lower the average DVR load, and I was happy to see the latest one I received (a Genie for Directv) goes into a low-power mode. Haven't done any tests to see what it uses, though.

Really you can't say all of those watts are doing nothing, since the DVR is recording shows at least some of the time.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

My Sat TV receiver sucks back 10 watts 24/7, as much as my freezer converted to fridge. But I have to leave on, otherwise it looses programming and I have to call the company to send it "another hit" to activate it again. That's a criminal design
    !
  • Cariboocoot
    techntrek wrote: »
    I guarantee 30-35 of those watts is just from the DVR, based on my past measurements. There are things that could be done in hardware and software to lower the average DVR load, and I was happy to see the latest one I received (a Genie for Directv) goes into a low-power mode. Haven't done any tests to see what it uses, though.

Really you can't say all of those watts are doing nothing, since the DVR is recording shows at least some of the time.

Nope: not recording anything. Just sitting there.
    But the PVR is the TV link and if you shut it down it "forgets" everything and takes awhile to reboot, and then settings have to be reloaded. No doubt it is the major power eater and yes it needn't be but it's the same old story: the makers of these things see no reason why they can't be chewing up Watts 24/7; it's not their electric bill, so why make it efficient?
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

Did a quick test on our Sat Internet for power use and 'just sitting' there it pulls 20 to 21 W constant. 24 x 21 = 504Whrs. So I have been powering down when not in use, then it is only the inverters 18A @ 24V, 432Whrs for a full day cycle.

between the 2 it is just Under 1 Kw if left on...

I have to do a 'look and see' when the little lady is using it to see if it ups its consumption

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • techntrek
    Nope: not recording anything. Just sitting there.
    But the PVR is the TV link and if you shut it down it "forgets" everything and takes awhile to reboot, and then settings have to be reloaded. No doubt it is the major power eater and yes it needn't be but it's the same old story: the makers of these things see no reason why they can't be chewing up Watts 24/7; it's not their electric bill, so why make it efficient?

Doesn't matter if it is actually recording or not, or "on" or not, as long as it is plugged in most DVRs use the same watts all the time, ready to record whatever is next on the list even if that is 6 hours away. My point is a DVR isn't like a receiver or TV which should draw zero or nearly zero watts when off. The DVR is providing a useful service 24/7.
  • Cariboocoot
    techntrek wrote: »
    The DVR is providing a useful service 24/7.

Ah, you haven't seen the program choices around here. Useful? Not really. :p

Many are in fact cutting off their TV service because it is such a waste of money. $70 a month is a tad expensive for an hour of news at night. Nothing else worth looking at. Unfortunately no OTA is available in this location.
  • Cariboocoot

BTW I've just tested the PVR on its own and techntrek's numbers are spot-on: 34 Watts whether on or off.

I also tested a receiver-only unit from the same company: 26 Watts while "off".

And to be fair to the whole power strip:

VCR off; 8 Watts
    DVD player/recorder off; 2 Watts
    40" LCD TV off; 0 Watts (uses <1 Watt to stay ready for remote turn on)

Total is 44 Watts: the 3 Watt difference from the original would be in the realm of variance and unreadable millawatts consumed.

Note that the PVR, VCR, and DVD recorder will all have some power consumption to be in standby mode for remote activation (as the TV or a DVD player only would) as well timer activation.
  • techntrek

Yeah, well, excluding that truism. :cry::p

If I had hardwire internet I probably would cut mine, too. But, where I live I only have internet via cell phone tether and Directv...
  • Skippy
    Skippy Solar Expert Posts: 310 ✭✭

Many are in fact cutting off their TV service because it is such a waste of money. $70 a month is a tad expensive for an hour of news at night. Nothing else worth looking at. Unfortunately no OTA is available in this location.

70 $ for the BASE charge, then if you want to get "specialty" channels, they charge an extra bit - and for every one channel you want, you get 25 that you don't .

When I first started on this adventure - of "going green" - I pulled the plug on my bedside alarm clock - and picked up a battery operated one. It has been about 7 years and counting on that one set of batteries - not using any a/c for that one.... in that time I have seen about 10 people at work say that they are late for work - because the power went out and shut off their alarm clock . . hmmmm. . . ..
    2 - 255W + 4 - 285W PV - Tristar 60 amp MPPT CC / 3 - 110W PV -wired for 36V- 24V Sunsaver MPPT CC / midnite bat. monitor.
    1 KW PSW inverter 24V / 2.5 KW MSW inverter-24V ~ 105 AHR battery.
    3 ton GSHP.- 100 gallon warm water storage / house heat - radiant floor / rad
    9 -220W PV - net meter - Enphase inverters and internet reporting system.
    420 Gallon rain water system for laundry.***  6" Rocket Mass Heater with 10' bed for workshop heat.
    Current project is drawing up plans for a below grade Hobbit / underground home.
    Google "undergroundandlovinit" no spaces.