Help with MoningStar ProStar 30 Charge Controller Wiring

Guest312
Guest312 Registered Users Posts: 22
Attachment not found.

I don't see it anywhere in the manual how to wire this up.

I see that there are 4 connections on the PWM charge controller for the battery.

I understand that this is for 12v or 24v systems. But I just can't seem to find the wiring instructions in the user manual. It shows the bottom of the charge controller, but they just tell you to connect the battery to it..

Can you please tell me or show me how it's supposed to be wired for a 12 or 24v system please?

I know how to do the Outback FLEXMax FM60 & FM80, there's only 2 for the panels, and then another 2 for the battery connection. Very easy.

Attachment not found.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Help with MoningStar ProStar 30 Charge Controller Wiring

Here's what's confusing you: the ProStar has "battery sense" terminals in the middle. They are for small gauge wire to the battery which feed back "actual" battery Voltage to the controller so that it does not see the V-drop that can occur on the charge output lines.

So left to right:

PV +
    PV -

Battery +
    Battery Sense +
    Battery Sense -
    Battery -

Load +
    Load -

The choice of 12 or 24 Volts is automatically selected on start-up.
    You do not have to use the battery sense connections but they may help operation under certain conditions.
    Do not use the Load terminals for any load which may draw more than 30 Amps such as an inverter.
  • Guest312
    Guest312 Registered Users Posts: 22
    Re: Help with MoningStar ProStar 30 Charge Controller Wiring
    Here's what's confusing you: the ProStar has "battery sense" terminals in the middle. They are for small gauge wire to the battery which feed back "actual" battery Voltage to the controller so that it does not see the V-drop that can occur on the charge output lines.

So left to right:

PV +
    PV -

Battery +
    Battery Sense +
    Battery Sense -
    Battery -

Load +
    Load -

The choice of 12 or 24 Volts is automatically selected on start-up.
    You do not have to use the battery sense connections but they may help operation under certain conditions.
    Do not use the Load terminals for any load which may draw more than 30 Amps such as an inverter.

Like this right?
    Attachment not found.
    Attachment not found.

Also I do see what you were talking about. I can't believe I didn't understand how this was hooked up.. I guess I just needed a little help is all. Thanks for that. Very much appreciated.

It says it right in the documentation, silly me. :)

I guess I need to hook up the sense connections, if the battery is greater than 5 meters away.
    Attachment not found.